Hybrid vehicles question

No, we have different nozzles for DIFFERENT fuel types. You can't call diesel a type of petrol.

Right but until things settle down, there may be technical reasons why different cars use different connectors, voltages and current limits.

After all, the connector for a fuel-cell electric car is bound to be different from a battery electric car. Kind of hard to supply liquid hydrogen through copper wiring.

A hybrid with hydrogen fuel cells? Does such a thing even exist?

We're talking about hybrid battery/ICE aren't we?

Left alone manufacturers will rarely make compatible products, they prefer to lock consumers in, which is why the government has to intervene to stop that sort of anti competitive behaviour.

Right but until things settle down, there may be technical reasons why different cars use different connectors, voltages and current limits.

After all, the connector for a fuel-cell electric car is bound to be different from a battery electric car. Kind of hard to supply liquid hydrogen through copper wiring.

Ones using fuel in a non recoverable redox reaction, the other has a reversible redox cell. Rather different fuel types...

Cars will have one of three types of plug on them, far easier to just point it all out here...

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/basics/#connector

Typically unless you have a Tesla, you can drive up to any fast charger and expect to be able to use your lead to connect, or you will find it has captive leads you can use. For rapid chargers they will have the AC and DC leads captive. Have a look at the motorway rapid chargers in service stations.

What?!?

Industry standards are everywhere.

That's the nice thing there are so so many of them to choose from.

I mean, if I want to go overseas I need to carry adaptors just to get mains power....

12 different sorts. Just to get a variable voltage from 100V to 250V from anywhere from 16.7Hz to 400Hz.

Then there are five different equipment power receptables I need.

So that's 60 combinations just to deliver power to devices all of which take the same order of magnitude of power....

Standards. Brilliant....

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 11:14 ----------

And examples of manufacturers locking consumers in are also everywhere.

Because of course they would never do that....

Canon camera lenses fit Nikon bodies of course.

And all Canon lenses fit all makes of canon camera....

And when they do fit... all lenses work on those bodies... (aps-C etc)

No lock in at all.

That's the nice thing there are so so many of them to choose from.

I mean, if I want to go overseas I need to carry adaptors just to get mains power....

12 different sorts. Just to get a variable voltage from 100V to 250V from anywhere from 16.7Hz to 400Hz.

Then there are five different equipment power receptables I need.

So that's 60 combinations just to deliver power to devices all of which take the same order of magnitude of power....

Standards. Brilliant....

Ironically this is down to governments.

Because of course they would never do that....

Canon camera lenses fit Nikon bodies of course.

And all Canon lenses fit all makes of canon camera....

And when they do fit... all lenses work on those bodies... (aps-C etc)

No lock in at all.

Both of these things go on. You know you can get third party lenses etc for both types of DSLR. So I'm not sure what the point is.

State-enforced standards risk stifling innovation.

The point is that camera manufacturers deliberately develop and use their own interfaces to create consumer lock in.

If you've invested in Nikon lenses (or 3rd party ones) and come to upgrade your camera, you won't be buying Canon will you.

If you own a lot of iDevice add ons, then you are likely to stick with an iDevice upgrade and not go to Android.

The point I made (and it's clearly made) is that industries will if they can create consumer lock in and launch competing standards. Did you ever own a betamax video recorder, or VHS? The latter probably. Did the work together, of course not.

So the point was that this must not be allowed to happen with the charging capabilities of electric cars, which means management/legislation by the government to ensure it doesn't. Fortunately we already have a licensing and approving agency that sets standards that all cars must meet.

The point is that camera manufacturers deliberately develop and use their own interfaces to create consumer lock in.

If you've invested in Nikon lenses (or 3rd party ones) and come to upgrade your camera, you won't be buying Canon will you.

If you own a lot of iDevice add ons, then you are likely to stick with an iDevice upgrade and not go to Android.

The point I made (and it's clearly made) is that industries will if they can create consumer lock in and launch competing standards. Did you ever own a betamax video recorder, or VHS? The latter probably. Did the work together, of course not.

So the point was that this must not be allowed to happen with the charging capabilities of electric cars, which means management/legislation by the government to ensure it doesn't. Fortunately we already have a licensing and approving agency that sets standards that all cars must meet.

But in the case of VCRs it did settle down to a single standard by itself. Would it have been better if the state had attempted to pick a winner for us? What makes you think they would have made a good choice?

Look at your computer. It's awash with standards and inter-operability, none of them mandated by government as far as I can tell.

Just be patient and a standard will emerge. This is not a case of 2 giants in the industry trying to lock in their customers. There are many players and the market can handle this. Wait...