How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

It happens all the time on my way home up Halifax Road, when you get to Grenoside it merges to one lane. I can guarantee that drivers will queue only in the left lane and leave the right one (which isn't a right turn lane) empty, and then they get face on when I try and merge into the queue from the right lane.

My partner was told by a police officer that the drivers in the left lane who refuse to let the other cars merge are actually classed as committing road rage. You should give way to vehicles on the right.

OP, you can't control what other people do, just leave them to it, stressing about it only hurts yourself and a stressed driver is not a good driver.

The only people who annoy me when driving are those who don't indicate and people who try to force their way out of give way junctions.

The annoying ones at this spot as those you think the merge in turn is actually a 'try to overtake as many cars as possible at breakneck speed and squeeze in at the last minute' point. It's funny when they don't spot the speed trap just ahead...

Edited by barleycorn

The mistake you are making is assuming it is your lane.

When two lanes merge into one the resulting single lane is not anybodies.

Both approaching drivers have equal rights to the lane and as such should merge in turn.

It is not the fault of the driver in the right hand lane that you have sat in a queue for half a mile, that is your choice.

If both lanes were used equally the queue would be half the size, as you said everyone is waiting to get through the traffic lights at Grenoside cross-roads..

---------- Post added 12-11-2016 at 12:52 ----------

That particular bend is pretty bad, water runoff from the woods makes it really slick, and being so close to a garage there's always a few dribbles of diesel thrown into the mix to make it worse.

You are correct, the queue would be half the length, but no more cars would get through the merge point. If the queue blocks any junctions then having a shorter queue is significant, but if it doesn`t the length of the queue is irrelevant, all it means is cars arriving later (and driving to the front) jump the queue.

You are correct, the queue would be half the length, but no more cars would get through the merge point. If the queue blocks any junctions then having a shorter queue is significant, but if it doesn`t the length of the queue is irrelevant, all it means is cars arriving later (and driving to the front) jump the queue.

I think you've just answered your own question...

Q- How do you stop the queue jumping motorists?

A- Use both lanes, rather than queue in the left. If both lanes are the same length nobody can queue jump.

I'm going to add to this, & this drives me up the wall.

WHen you have 2 lanes merging into one, for example, coming off the parkway, at the Mosborough junction, why is it, when the traffic is in a line, unacceptable to enter the right hand lane & then merge further down ? It would move a lot quicker if people used both lanes.

Why do drivers deliberately 'squeeze' the merger out ? I have even seen people pull into the right hand lane to stop other drivers going down there.

It's not the driver on the rights fault if you are daft enough to sit & queue in the left hand lane, rather than use the right hand lane at busier times :)

Well actually there is one point you're missing out.

If both queues were of equal length then there would be nothing to moan about.

I'm going to add to this, & this drives me up the wall.

WHen you have 2 lanes merging into one, for example, coming off the parkway, at the Mosborough junction, why is it, when the traffic is in a line, unacceptable to enter the right hand lane & then merge further down ? It would move a lot quicker if people used both lanes.

Why do drivers deliberately 'squeeze' the merger out ? I have even seen people pull into the right hand lane to stop other drivers going down there.

It's not the driver on the rights fault if you are daft enough to sit & queue in the left hand lane, rather than use the right hand lane at busier times :)

I use the right hand lane on this road every night, on occasion I see people pulling out as you described, to block anyone coming past, this is a traffic offence.

The other week I witnessed a Veolia wagon driver doing this, then near the merge he went back into the left lane and sped up, forcing some guy in a white SUV to swerve into the oncoming lane briefly.

I sent my dashcam footage to Veolia.

I use the right hand lane on this road every night, on occasion I see people pulling out as you described, to block anyone coming past, this is a traffic offence.

The other week I witnessed a Veolia wagon driver doing this, then near the merge he went back into the left lane and sped up, forcing some guy in a white SUV to swerve into the oncoming lane briefly.

I sent my dashcam footage to Veolia.

They would probably ignore it.

Post it on their twitter account, see how fast they respond then :thumbsup: