How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

I'm going to add to this, & this drives me up the wall.

WHen you have 2 lanes merging into one, for example, coming off the parkway, at the Mosborough junction, why is it, when the traffic is in a line, unacceptable to enter the right hand lane & then merge further down ? It would move a lot quicker if people used both lanes.

Why do drivers deliberately 'squeeze' the merger out ? I have even seen people pull into the right hand lane to stop other drivers going down there.

It's not the driver on the rights fault if you are daft enough to sit & queue in the left hand lane, rather than use the right hand lane at busier times :)

Which junction is this? I can't picture it in my head.

Which junction is this? I can't picture it in my head.

I think it's the one heading up the hill when you leave the Parkway heading towards Crystal Peaks. It's 2 lanes up the hill and then becomes a single lane down the Coisley Hill roundabout. Traffic often queues exclusively in the left land which then queues back over the roundabout off the Parkway blocking people trying to get to Darnall.

Aha. Yeah I don't understand why people don't use both lanes there when it's busy. If they did you'd get the same number of cars in half the distance and wouldn't cause issues with tailbacks at the preceding roundabout.

I always assume people in the left lane who make it difficult for those in the right just do it out of ignorance as they don't understand the highway code, or spite as they think someone is 'winning'.

I always assume people in the left lane who make it difficult for those in the right just do it out of ignorance as they don't understand the highway code, or spite as they think someone is 'winning'.

but at the same time can't be bothered to do it themselves??

They'd rather sit in traffic for ages then act like a prick at the merge point?

People are strange!

When you get to the 50mph road after Grenoside you often find that the drivers who go in the outside lane of Halifax road & push their way in (invariably without using indicators to show they want to move into the inside lane), also don't drive over 40-45mph until they get to where the road has two lanes going up the hill towards the Stocksbridge bypass.

Also, I must be driving driving with blinkers on, because at this road narrowing I've never noticed the road signs that say merge in turn, just the arrows on the road that tell the outside lane to get into the inside lane.

Tonight on my drive home, I kept an eye on the arrows painted on the road, and as I thought, the arrows show straight on up until the very point of the merge where the road becomes too narrow for two cars, not any further back.

Tonight on my drive home, I kept an eye on the arrows painted on the road, and as I thought, the arrows show straight on up until the very point of the merge where the road becomes too narrow for two cars, not any further back.

This came up on another thread a while back. These arrows are not telling drivers to move into the left lane, as BluePolo mistakenly believes, they are actually telling drivers to keep to their side of the central divide, usually when the road layout ahead is about to change.