How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

A lot of drivers are more concerned with their unwritten code of politeness or 'road morality' rather than legality and safety,

I find it quite funny people are more concerned with some kind of 'unwritten code' when there is a very comprehensive and official written highway code.

I used to do it regularly in Leeds up by the Uni. Left hand unused bus lane... breeze up to the lights. First away from the lights "wins" and gets to pick the lane they want ahead, otherwise I just merge in with the remaining traffic if I want the RH lane.

What never ceases to amaze me are the people who at the lights then want the left hand lane, after sitting in a queue for several hundred meters.... they could have picked the right lane way back and missed the queue....

This used to happen on Intake on the fire station road. Back when the bus lane was on the right, you'd get people queuing in the bus lane (during active hours) and the left lane would be mostly empty.

Then at the end, some would try and get in the left lane, which they could have been in from the start.

Edited by RootsBooster

How a motorist stopped a sneaky Mercedes driver from jumping traffic queue

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/8203-motorist-stopped-sneaky-mercedes-driver/story-26364651-detail/story.html#felR8WZ37EGdB6vH.99

Obviously not a good idea but I can understand the frustration caused by queue jumpers.

The Renault's actions are stupid, dangerous and illegal. The cars in the empty lane are, luckily, driving at a safe speed and stop in time with no problem.

The Renault's actions are stupid, dangerous and illegal. The cars in the empty lane are, luckily, driving at a safe speed and stop in time with no problem.

The car trying to undertake was breaking the law, but I agree that the actions of the driver that prevented it from undertaking were stupid and dangerous, but it was not illegal for it to move back into the inside lane.

The car trying to undertake was breaking the law, but I agree that the actions of the driver that prevented it from undertaking were stupid and dangerous, but it was not illegal for it to move back into the inside lane.

Would the obstructing of the highway law be able to be used in this case? The Renault isn't obstructing the highway as he's moving along at a safe speed for the ambient traffic conditions? He is driving at a reasonable speed and is not stopping the flow of the traffic.

In nearly every single example on this thread, the drivers who insist on queuing in the one lane are in the wrong and only have a since of injustice because someone seems to be getting one over on them. If they were driving correctly, in accordance with the highway code they would be queuing equally in both lanes meaning that no-one can gain an advantage as there would be no empty lane. There are some examples on here about people intentionally using the wrong lane approaching a junction to gain an advantage but that is actually illegal, unlike utilising all available lanes for queuing.

The car trying to undertake was breaking the law.

What law was he breaking then....?

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 09:50 ----------

Would the obstructing of the highway law be able to be used in this case?

I'd have said dangerous driving by the Renault, or at the very least without due care and consideration.

The car trying to undertake was breaking the law
Which law is that?

but I agree that the actions of the driver that prevented it from undertaking were stupid and dangerous, but it was not illegal for it to move back into the inside lane.

Dangerous driving itself is an offence, wilful obstruction is an offence. So that's two laws broken.