How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

Good video which highlights how it should be done, but we are talking about queue jumpers, once the white van had pulled in there was still 100m before the cones, a queue jumper would have also pushed in front of the learner. If the black car driver had been an inconsiderate queue jumper they would have increased speed and pushed in front of the learner, the driving instructor would have then called them an ass instead of the driver of the red car.

So it's only inconsiderate queue jumpers you have a problem with, considerate ones are okay?

You can see in the rear view camera that both the white van and black car pull out of the left lane, drive to the front of the queue and merge back in.

The white van merges where the yellow sign is, the cones appear in line with the blue sign, this distance may be close to 100 feet but it's nowhere near 100 metres.

Good video which highlights how it should be done, but we are talking about queue jumpers, once the white van had pulled in there was still 100m before the cones, a queue jumper would have also pushed in front of the learner. If the black car driver had been an inconsiderate queue jumper they would have increased speed and pushed in front of the learner, the driving instructor would have then called them an ass instead of the driver of the red car.

A lot of it is about driver attitude. To the red car driver, the black car was an inconsiderate queue jumper (along with everyone else in the right lane, probably). Red car driver is probably one of those people who gets frustrated at learners too. The instructor has the right attitude.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 08:46 ----------

So it's only inconsiderate queue jumpers you have a problem with, considerate ones are okay?

You can see in the rear view camera that both the white van and black car pull out of the left lane, drive to the front of the queue and merge back in.

The white van merges where the yellow sign is, the cones appear in line with the blue sign, this distance may be close to 100 feet but it's nowhere near 100 metres.

I didn't notice that until you said! I still think the red car driver has a bad attitude though, and is driving too close to the learner. He has to brake sharply a few times.

A second look at the video and it does appear that the white van driver was a queue jumper, the sign says 100 yards which is closer to 100M than 100 feet.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 09:28 ----------

A lot of it is about driver attitude. To the red car driver, the black car was an inconsiderate queue jumper (along with everyone else in the right lane, probably). Red car driver is probably one of those people who gets frustrated at learners too. The instructor has the right attitude.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 08:46 ----------

I didn't notice that until you said! I still think the red car driver has a bad attitude though, and is driving too close to the learner. He has to brake sharply a few times.

The problem we have is that we can't see what the red car driver saw, so it may be that several of the vehicle that went past the red car had indeed jumped the queue instead of merging with it at an earlier opportunity.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 09:35 ----------

I few headline indicate the police are taking queue jumping more seriously.

Issuing anti social driving warnings when they witness people driving past congestion and then forcing their way back into the traffic.

BAD MANNERS: 'Selfish' motorists caught queue jumping on M65 warned by police.

‘SELFISH’ motorists caught queue jumping on one of East Lancashire’s busiest roads are being warned they face being fined.

But this just isn't right. I'm sorry but laws of physics and motion disagree with you.

If the queue is a mile long and rather than use 2 lanes everyone uses 1 and because the bottleneck is further on you end up doing an average speed of 10mph for 1 mile. If you used both lanes you would half the distance of the queue so you could do NSL (60mph assuming not a dual carriageway) for half a mile before having to do the 10mph making it quicker to queue in both lanes.

I feel your point is misleading at best. I have never seen a queue (with an empty closing lane) for a merging road that is one mile long, at worst it`s usually a few hundred yards, quite apart from anything the signs (telling you the lane is closing) are never that far back. But, more significantly, because it`s the merge point which is the limiting capacity factor, even if the double queue is half the length, it`d just mean it`d be travelling at half the speed of the single queue.

If the powers that be want everyone to drive to the front and merge just at the point the second lane disappears, why do they warn you hundreds of yards before the merge that one lane is ending ? If it`s for safety reasons (though I fail to see how even the worst most aggressive driver needs 100s of yards notice) why not just have a low "road works speed limit", and then any lane disappearing sign right at the front ?

The indisputable fact is that stopping, or slowing down to a crawl, at the merge point (to let late-comers in) drastically reduces the capacity of the merging bottle neck. This is proved when truck drivers sometimes work together to block the outside lane, when that happens the queue moves appreciably faster. Surely you know that is true ? The only drivers who "lose out" from that are those who try to jump the queue.

The only situation where merging right at the front is the correct thing to do is if the queue is blocking an (exit) junction further back.

Edited by Justin Smith

What annoys me are the inconsiderate <removed> who speed up the road past the blue ball in hillsborough, to turn left towards the rawson spring (the only way you can turn)

And then force their way into the opposite lane to go onto holme lane.

Anyone doing that in front of me, I block them off...wait your turn like everyone else.

I was stuck behind someone trying to pull this move for blummin' ages the other day. I was in the left lane, wanting to turn left, but people were refusing to let the the car in front push in. I could see why you wouldn't want to let them in, it really IS a blatent queue jump, but it didn't help all of us legitimately trying to get through the lights and turn left.

If everyone used both lanes as they should then the queue would be half as long and it wouldn't be impacting junctions further back and adding to the congestion. It's almost certainly not the merge in turn that is causing the bottleneck either is it, it's whatever junctions come after the merge.

The length of the queue is irrelevant the number of cars in the queue determine its size.

I single line with 100 cars traveling down a single road will move fast than two queues of 50 cars trying to merge into one lane at a given point.

---------- Post added 20-11-2016 at 20:21 ----------

If we're lucky a policeman will spot you and you'll get a ticket for driving like that.

The driver trying to push is the one most likely to get the ticket.

Clearly if the queue is so long it's blocking cross junctions and interfering with the normal flow of traffic behind it, then that's a problem. And that's why cars should use both lanes and minimise the length of the queue.

The driver causing the obstruction is in the wrong.

Clearly if the queue is so long it's blocking cross junctions and interfering with the normal flow of traffic behind it, then that's a problem. And that's why cars should use both lanes and minimise the length of the queue.

The driver causing the obstruction is in the wrong.

Junctions should be kept clear even when the queue is long, and good drivers know were to wait to avoid blocking the junction. So yes I agree that a driver blocking a junction is in the wrong. No one needs to queue jump to avoid blocking a junction.

We all know from experience that junctions are not left clear and that drivers are mostly unthinking lemons who will keep moving forwards and block another junction.

Using both lanes and merging in turn is not queue jumping. And if everyone did it there would be no possible advantage because both lanes would have equal numbers of cars. Perhaps you should stop arguing against the inevitable and start using the second lane like you should.