How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

So you intend driving into the side of a car that is already in the lane you want to merge with, if not someone will need to allow you to merge.

Two lanes merge. Neither has priority. I don't need to be "allowed" to merge - it is how the road works. Traffic in either lane has no priority over the other.

Edited by Flexo

Two lanes merge. Neither has priority. I don't need to be "allowed" to merge - it is how the road works. Traffic in either lane has no priority over the other.

Someone is going to have to give you priority because if they don't you will be driving into each other, its a fact, two cars cannot occupy the same bit of road at the same time. The same applies when walking through a door, most of the time two people can not get through at the same time and whilst neither as priority one will have to wait whilst the other walks though.

And if the other driver doesn't want to take it in turns do you intend driving into the side of their car?

You can't take it in turns by being parallel with something, you must be offset.

If the driver of the vehicle offset behind me does not merge in the manner in which the road is designed then yes they will cause a collision.

I don't design the roads, I merely drive on them as they are designed. If you think that there is some problem with road users failing to merge correctly then you may wish to take that up with those who do design the roads.

Edited by Flexo

And if the other driver doesn't want to take it in turns do you intend driving into the side of their car?

So you admit that the only wrongdoing that occurs is when someone has been queuing early and doesn't allow others to legally merge?

It would be moving slower before the obstruction so fewer vehicles would pass the obstruction in a given time, leaving more in the queue before the obstruction.

That makes no sense, are you saying that once people have merged they choose to stay at the speed they were driving when they merged, rather than speed up again?

If a merge point impedes the progress of a vehicle so much, then there would have to be huge gaps between them once they were all into a single lane. Why don't we see that?

Unless, of course, merge in turns work quite well and traffic moves through quite freely at a more or less steady rate.

So what's being blocked by your long single queue of traffic if not a junction.

An exit ramp, backing up onto a motorway or parkway, for one example.