How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

You can't take it in turns by being parallel with something, you must be offset.

If the driver of the vehicle offset behind me does not merge in the manner in which the road is designed then yes they will cause a collision.

I don't design the roads, I merely drive on them as they are designed. If you think that there is some problem with road users failing to merge correctly then you may wish to take that up with those who do design the roads.

So if they have left a gap that is just one car length you intend squeezing into it, and you don't see anything dangerous about such a maneuver.

That,s kind of the problem isn't it, when two pig headed drivers meet and neither is will to give priority, you end up smashing into each other and holding everyone else up.

Nothing wrong with road layout, its drivers that assume they can just take priority that are the problem.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 18:19 ----------

So you admit that the only wrongdoing that occurs is when someone has been queuing early and doesn't allow others to legally merge?

No, the wrong doers are those that over take drivers that have already merged and then push in.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 18:38 ----------

That makes no sense, are you saying that once people have merged they choose to stay at the speed they were driving when they merged, rather than speed up again?

If a merge point impedes the progress of a vehicle so much, then there would have to be huge gaps between them once they were all into a single lane. Why don't we see that?

Unless, of course, merge in turns work quite well and traffic moves through quite freely at a more or less steady rate.

An exit ramp, backing up onto a motorway or parkway, for one example.

No they enter at a slower speed which means fewer can enter in a given time period.

No there wouldn't be a huge gap, cars would just move slower.

The zip merge can work if everyone is polite and cooperates and merges in good time, but that isn't the realty that is on our roads, marging late can go very wrong and cause gridlock, merging in good time keeps traffic moving better, the down side is that ignorant drivers will take advantage and push in.

I have see exit ramps blocked by three stationary lanes of traffic, but never one stationary lane of traffic whilst the other lanes are open and empty, unless everyone in the left lane is existing.

So if they have left a gap that is just one car length you intend squeezing into it, and you don't see anything dangerous about such a maneuver.

That,s kind of the problem isn't it, when two pig headed drivers meet and neither is will to give priority, you end up smashing into each other and holding everyone else up.

Nothing wrong with road layout, its drivers that assume they can just take priority that are the problem.

Obviously when a merge takes place then you have two lanes going into one so there will be double the volume of traffic in one lane.

There is no priority, you merge in turn. This means there will be another vehicle between yours and the one in front. If you are only leaving a single car length then you will need to adjust the distance and allow more as the lanes become one.

But the vast majority of people do. There are a few stubborn ones who won't - you can see these muppets in action by searching for "merge in turn" on YouTube.

A lot do, not sure if its most, many just leave a gap that they consider to be safe and someone else pushing into it, they aren't letting people in, they just aren't stopping them getting in. I have had it done to me many times, 50 or so meters from the cones, someone flies past all the drivers that have already merged safely and pushes in front of me then slams the brakes on, but then someone else passes in front of them and tries to get in only to be stopped by the person that just pushed in front of me. The worst offenders for stopping others getting into the queue are the people that push in themselves.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 19:24 ----------

Obviously when a merge takes place then you have two lanes going into one so there will be double the volume of traffic in one lane.

There is no priority, you merge in turn. This means there will be another vehicle between yours and the one in front. If you are only leaving a single car length then you will need to adjust the distance and allow more as the lanes become one.

I leave significantly more space than a car length but most don't and the queue jumpers don't care they just force their way in, but if you are moving from one lane to another it is your responsibility to make sure you do it in good time and that the gap you are moving into is large enough such that you don't impede the driver you are moving in front of.

Edited by Petminder

No they enter at a slower speed which means fewer can enter in a given time period.

No there wouldn't be a huge gap, cars would just move slower.

[/Quote] Why would they drive slower once they've passed the merge point? Would this be out of choice or would something be forcing them to drive slow?

The zip merge can work if everyone is polite and cooperates and merges in good time, but that isn't the realty that is on our roads, marging late can go very wrong and cause gridlock, merging in good time keeps traffic moving better, the down side is that ignorant drivers will take advantage and push in.

I have see exit ramps blocked by three stationary lanes of traffic, but never one stationary lane of traffic whilst the other lanes are open and empty, unless everyone in the left lane is existing.

You might want to watch the A57 exit from the Parkway at about 5:30pm then.

Why would they drive slower once they've passed the merge point? Would this be out of choice or would something be forcing them to drive slow?

You might want to watch the A57 exit from the Parkway at about 5:30pm then.

They will be moving slower approaching, they start slow so will take longer to get through, if it takes longer to get through fewer cars get through, which leave more cares waiting to get through. You must accept that when two queue of traffic want to move into the same bit of road at a given point, at that point they must be moving slowly, because if they are moving fast the consequences of one not giving way would be catastrophic.

They will be moving slower approaching, they start slow so will take longer to get through, if it takes longer to get through fewer cars get through, which leave more cares waiting to get through. You must accept that when two queue of traffic want to move into the same bit of road at a given point, at that point they must be moving slowly, because if they are moving fast the consequences of one not giving way would be catastrophic.

They are moving at the same speed that they will be if they merge at any other point.

They are moving at the same speed that they will be if they merge at any other point.

You really don't do much driving do you, if you are heading towards a closed lane and only intend switching lanes at the last possible moment you will slow down, because if you don't there is a chance you will drive into the obstruction, if you switch lanes well before you get to the obstruction there is no danger of hitting it so no need to slow down. So cars can merge at speed if they are well back from the obstruction but will have to slow down if they only intend merging in the last few meters.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 21:47 ----------

I did post a link several pages back that you probably ignored, it showed how slow a merge is if left till the last moment and how much faster it is if done early.

I accept they may slow when approaching the merge point. What I'm asking is why you think they would continue to drive at that speed once merged and in a single lane.

In typical Smiffy style, you appear to be wriggling around the question at hand.

One day you will meet someone not willing to, they will also have a clapped out old banger that they don't mind pranging. :D

Thats alright Smithy. I'll be ahead of them so it'll be their fault as my cameras will show so I'll clean up on thier insurance.

As a bonus admittedly a small one it might just be you I push off the road which'll only make it sweeter :)