How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

If that`s correct, and I don`t necessarily agree with it, the effect would be that both queues would be the same length more of the time, so queue jumping would be eliminated.

Just out of interest, if the powers that be want merging at the last possible moment over here why do they warn of a closing lane hundreds of yards ahead ? That`s just asking for people to make sure they`re in the non closing lane early so as not to have to throw themselves on the mercy of other drivers, and also jumping any queue.

So that drivers can plan ahead and move into the correct lane in good time.

This is the official advise.

When a dual carriageway ends and the lanes merge to form a single carriageway, this sign warns of it. Don’t leave moving into the left-hand lane until the last moment. Plan ahead and don’t rely on other traffic letting you in.

This sign shows that the right hand lane is closed in 800 yards. Yellow and black temporary signs may be used to inform you of roadworks or lane restrictions. Look well ahead. If you have to change lanes, do so in good time.

Roadworks might also restrict where heavy vehicles can travel. Lanes at roadworks often carry weight restrictions to keep larger vehicles in the left-hand lane. The width of the lanes through the roadworks are very often narrow and therefore not wide enough for large vehicles to pass each other safely. Always look for restriction signs at roadworks. They are usually placed well in advance to give you time to move safely into the correct lane in good time.

So that drivers can plan ahead and move into the correct lane in good time.

This is the official advise.

When a dual carriageway ends and the lanes merge to form a single carriageway, this sign warns of it. Don’t leave moving into the left-hand lane until the last moment. Plan ahead and don’t rely on other traffic letting you in.

That's the official advice is it? Do you have a link to the source?

I find it strange that the official advice seems to be confused about what a carriageway is and what a lane is :hihi:

You really don't do much driving do you, if you are heading towards a closed lane and only intend switching lanes at the last possible moment you will slow down, because if you don't there is a chance you will drive into the obstruction, if you switch lanes well before you get to the obstruction there is no danger of hitting it so no need to slow down. So cars can merge at speed if they are well back from the obstruction but will have to slow down if they only intend merging in the last few meters.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 21:47 ----------

I did post a link several pages back that you probably ignored, it showed how slow a merge is if left till the last moment and how much faster it is if done early.

I drove most days thanks.

If there is a queue (which is the scenario you're concerned about) then it's impossible to merge or join that queue without slowing, that should be obvious to everyone.

If that`s correct, and I don`t necessarily agree with it, the effect would be that both queues would be the same length more of the time, so queue jumping would be eliminated.

As others have already said, that's the answer to your question (How to stop queue jumpers).

Just out of interest, if the powers that be want merging at the last possible moment over here why do they warn of a closing lane hundreds of yards ahead ? That`s just asking for people to make sure they`re in the non closing lane early so as not to have to throw themselves on the mercy of other drivers, and also jumping any queue.

Early warning of road layout changes ahead is pretty standard stuff. If you're tonking down an empty lane (regardless if there's any queues or not) at the legal limit but the road markings ahead aren't visible until the last minute, it's not the best situation that could happen.

Early warning of a merge ahead does not mean "merge as soon as you can".

I leave significantly more space than a car length but most don't and the queue jumpers don't care they just force their way in, but if you are moving from one lane to another it is your responsibility to make sure you do it in good time and that the gap you are moving into is large enough such that you don't impede the driver you are moving in front of.

Moving from one lane to another would be different. That is not a merge, that is changing lanes.

The merge takes place where the dotted line separating the lanes has ended and instead you have one wide and narrowing lane.

Vehicles need to be matching their speed before this point and preparing the zipper, spacing themselves as necessary.

Moving into a single lane before the merge point is merely changing lanes and will result in unbalanced lanes.

HTH.

London has the right idea by putting up concrete barriers on certain areas to stop people from doing this.

I remember a roundabout on a road I used to drive on regularly on my way to work that had a concrete barrier half way round it. Meaning anyone using the left hand lane to turn right were faced with an obstacle. I would take great pleasure in lining up with cars that were doing this on my round the roundabout so that they had to leave the roundabout onto a dual carriageway. I use this trick on the ring road roundabouts near Staples too.

London has the right idea by putting up concrete barriers on certain areas to stop people from doing this.

I remember a roundabout on a road I used to drive on regularly on my way to work that had a concrete barrier half way round it. Meaning anyone using the left hand lane to turn right were faced with an obstacle. I would take great pleasure in lining up with cars that were doing this on my round the roundabout so that they had to leave the roundabout onto a dual carriageway. I use this trick on the ring road roundabouts near Staples too.

Concrete barriers between all lanes on the motorway. That'll stop them. Oh hold on no one will be able to get into the lanes EVER.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 11:05 ----------

Everything you want to know is here, I get that you all have your own ideas about what is the best way to do things but its much safer when everyone does it the same way and follows the same rules. Thats why we have the DSA or DVSA as it is now called.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-standards-agency

Thats a link to the main page, are you expecting us all to search for the specific issue in question? In fact I've tried doing some searches and can't find anything on that page relating to merging.

It seems to me that this issue has not been fully researched nor is it understood. Certainly I don't see any evidence that you understand the issue any more than anyone else.

The highway code says this:

Rule 134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Edited by TimmyR

Concrete barriers between all lanes on the motorway. That'll stop them. Oh hold on no one will be able to get into the lanes EVER.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 11:05 ----------

Thats a link to the main page, are you expecting us all to search for the specific issue in question? In fact I've tried doing some searches and can't find anything on that page relating to merging.

It seems to me that this issue has not been fully researched nor is it understood. Certainly I don't see any evidence that you understand the issue any more than anyone else.

Yes everything you need is available from that link, this is the government department that produces all the literature, rules, the theory test and the driving test, all ADI's, Fleet trainers and examiners follow the same set of rules as set by the DVSA.

Yes everything you need is available from that link, this is the government department that produces all the literature, rules, the theory test and the driving test, all ADI's, Fleet trainers and examiners follow the same set of rules as set by the DVSA.

Please link me to something, after 5 minuts of searching I can't find anything. If you want to support your argument then a link to a specific document would help. You might as well just link to google otherwsie. That said I've posted the highway code rule that mentions merging and it seems to be in support of zip merging.

Edited by TimmyR