How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

The water would be the relevant books and sites, you can choose to read them or choose to ignore them.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Whats in my head came from the relevant literature, just as I am sure your head will be full of information you needed to learn to do the job you do.

More typical Smiffy tactics, making a false claim then refusing to provide proof, instead telling others to find it themselves.

Edited by RootsBooster

Again, like button needed.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:37 ----------

They didn't merge, they changed lane.

Merge, combine or cause to combine to form a single entity.

That means more than one lane of traffic combines to form one lane of traffic.

So when you see one lane of traffic approaching closed lanes on a motorway it is because they already merged.

So you've now redefined the act of changing lanes to always be a merge.

We're using merge as shorthand for "Merge in turn" though. You can't merge in turn EARLY. Because then it's not IN TURN is it.

Changing lanes doesn't necessarily involve creating one lane, if the intention is to create one lane from multiple lanes the traffic merges in turn, the problem is created by a minority that want to merge out of turn and at the last possible moment thus causing the entire queue of merged traffic to slow down or stop.

The water would be the relevant books and sites, you can choose to read them or choose to ignore them.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 13:41 ----------

Whats in my head came from the relevant literature, just as I am sure your head will be full of information you needed to learn to do the job you do.

What job do you do?

Concrete barriers between all lanes on the motorway. That'll stop them. Oh hold on no one will be able to get into the lanes EVER.

That really isn't what this discussion is/was about. This is about queue jumping such as seen on the parkway at peak time or many other roads in and around sheffield.

Well I am currently reading them and doing my advanced driving course, so I'm drinking. I think the issue we are having is that you are telling us how to drive in the very specific situation of merging when there is lane closure without providing any evidence to back you up, other than to say "I'm an expert so you should listen". Well I'm an expert on pink trouser wearing so I strongly advise that you get them on next tuesday.

Anyhow, I'll have a read of the book I've been given tonight and see what it says.

Have you not also noticed that when trucks work in concert to block off the finishing lane the traffic flows quicker ?

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 15:29 ----------

This is such a funny thread.

"The highway code says merge in turn"

"My head says something else!"

"Oh. Sounds like you're doing things wrong."

"You'd do it that way if you read the rules that contradict the Highway Code"

"Where can I read these rules?"

"I can't tell you because I've just made them up!"

"I'll carry on following the real rules then."

"But us people who follow our own rules won't like that!"

"Follow the rules in the Highway Code rather than make up your own...."

I feel you`re missing the essential point here, where do you merge in turn, that is the point.

Is it at the last possible moment, or is it well before the merge point which, apart from being safer, speeds up the flow through the merge.

If the highway authorities want everyone to merge at the last possible moment, why do they put signs out 100s of yards back telling everyone a lane is disappearing ?

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 15:32 ----------

That really isn't what this discussion is/was about. This is about queue jumping such as seen on the parkway at peak time or many other roads in and around sheffield.

I actually started it not even thinking about the classic lane disappearing queue. It was more about people leaving a normal single lane queue, cutting all round the back roads, then getting another driver to let them in further up the same queue (critically, on the same side as the cause of the queue, usually a set of lights).

Edited by Justin Smith

Is it at the last possible moment, or is it well before the merge point which, apart from being safer, speeds up the flow through the merge.

Yes, at the merge point where two lanes end and become one wide, narrowing lane.

The throughput beyond there will be the same regardless.

If the highway authorities want everyone to merge at the last possible moment, why do they put signs out 100s of yards back telling everyone a lane is disappearing ?

To allow vehicles in both lanes to "prepare the zipper" by matching their speeds as they arrive, leave suitable gaps and not be directly alongside each other.

Do it properly and there can never be any complaint of "pushing in" because you will have lanes of equal length that are merging in turn.