How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

By your argument above no matter where I merge I cause everyone to stop 100 yards behind me.

People slow down behind the point of merge not in front, and the closer to the front you go the more people you affect.

I get that when you see queue you don't want to add to its length, so you incorrectly assume that if you push in you don't increase its length, if there are 10 people in a queue and you join it at the back there are now 11 people in the queue, no matter where you push into the queue there will still be 11 people in the queue, if you join the back everyone is happy apart from you, if you push in some will be angry and may well do what the driver did on the video, or in a shop they might even force you back out of the queue.

If it ever became official policy then it would be wise to put signs up. The problem we have at the moment is that the majority do it in a way that is expected whilst a minority disagree and want to do it in away they believe to be more efficient, this unfortunately leads to lower efficiency and more accidents.

You claim you represent the majority, but the evidence of this thread would suggest otherwise wouldn't it... :roll:

The sheer volume of traffic will cause a queue wherever 2 lanes make 1 whether that be 800 yards or a merge point. A gradual build up is inevitable due to some law that can't be changed, physics or similar I think :hihi:

I think the ridiculous amount of pages for this gone off topic is causing a queue somewhere else on the forum. Hope the mods make it merge in turn :P

You claim you represent the majority, but the evidence of this thread would suggest otherwise wouldn't it... :roll:

If your opinion was a majority opinion we wouldn't be having this discussion because there would be no single file queues of traffic or queue jumpers, everyone would be driving the same as you.

People don't slow when others merge in though. As in my evidence above.

Proof that it causes inefficiency?

And please drop the shop strawman it's irrelevant as you know.

If you always jump the queue you wouldn't know, have you never had to slow down when someone pulls in front of you?

Ten people in a queue waiting to go through a narrow door, you decide that you don't want to wait so you go to the front, best possible outcome is everyone is happy that you pushed in and efficiency remains the same, the same number of people get through the door, you a lot faster than you would have if you had joined the queue and everyone else a little slower.

But then everyone might not be happy with you pushing in so it causes conflict which results in lower efficiency as one or more try to get through the door at the same time.

Ten people running towards the door at the same time would be very inefficient, much more efficient if they form a singe file queue and go through in turn.

Please explain why you think pushing in increase efficiency without causing conflict?