How do you stop the queue jumping motorists ?

If your opinion was the majority there wouldn't be only Justin agreeing with you!

SF isn't the real wold, the majority don't push in, therefor the people that do are in the minority.

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 12:26 ----------

Strawman again....

Its a more inventive and simplistic way of explaining the same thing, it's a useful method of teaching when someone is struggling to understand.

I'l try another way for you.

You are number 10 in a queue at a checkout, I come in behind you but realise that I am blocking the isle, so instead of standing behind you I start a new queue next to number 1 in the queue, 8 more people come in behind me, so we have successfully avoided blocking the isle.

Now the polite thing for me to do is wait until your queue as moved and you are served then I and my queue take our turn to be served.

Or do you suggest now we have 2 queues that we zip merge, I move in after number 1 and become number 2 and so on until everyone in my queue as been served before you.

Edited by Petminder

If your opinion was a majority opinion we wouldn't be having this discussion because there would be no single file queues of traffic or queue jumpers, everyone would be driving the same as you.

There only seems to be yourself and one other person on this thread that have the same beliefs. So how can you be in the majority?

Because the majority of drivers don't push in, they wait their turn.

Where are these motorists then? If Sheffield Forum is representative of our local society, shouldn't there be more vocal drivers on here that share your opinion? By the very name of this thread, you would think it would attract more outspoken drivers who feel aggrieved that people are 'pushing in' to the queue that they themselves have created by following rules that exist only in their minds.

You are wasting your time Isabelle, there are too may of them who will happy ignore a lane to wait for mile single file. Junction 36 of the M1 is typical. Rush hour and one single file back to the MI roundabout, sometimes affecting the exit from the M1.

Many analysis of which is faster but mainly irrelevant as the single lane everyone is going into is slower anyway.

If it is no quicker either way then just use the extra lane, AS THE FRENCH, GERMANS, REST OF EUROPE DOES.

Threads like this will be redundant with the advent of driverless cars and associated interconnectivity. The algorithms used will be optimised for road capacity and traffic flow, so perhaps we can look forward to certain people arguing that the algorithms are wrong.

Volvo are testing driverless cars that are deliberately disguised because they think that humans will abuse them... And I can't see how we could ever have ONLY driverless cars...

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 12:47 ----------

The comparison to a queue for service is still a strawman.

Where are these motorists then? If Sheffield Forum is representative of our local society, shouldn't there be more vocal drivers on here that share your opinion? By the very name of this thread, you would think it would attract more outspoken drivers who feel aggrieved that people are 'pushing in' to the queue that they themselves have created by following rules that exist only in their minds.

Probably still in the queue that you pushed in front of. ;)

What makes you think that SF is representative of our local society.

They probably don't think challenging the opinion of inconsiderate drivers is worth the effort.

Or they think I am doing such a good job they don't feel the need to comment.

This is the video I posted, the majority think the Renault driver did the right thing, and the majority were not pushing in, I would say that both drivers were in the wrong.

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 12:51 ----------

You are wasting your time Isabelle, there are too may of them who will happy ignore a lane to wait for mile single file. Junction 36 of the M1 is typical. Rush hour and one single file back to the MI roundabout, sometimes affecting the exit from the M1.

Many analysis of which is faster but mainly irrelevant as the single lane everyone is going into is slower anyway.

If it is no quicker either way then just use the extra lane, AS THE FRENCH, GERMANS, REST OF EUROPE DOES.

You accept then that you are in the minority.

You are number 10 in a queue at a checkout, I come in behind you but realise that I am blocking the isle, so instead of standing behind you I start a new queue next to number 1 in the queue, 8 more people come in behind me, so we have successfully avoided blocking the isle.

The polite thing for me to do is wait until your queue as moved and you are served then I and my queue take our turn to be served.

Or do you suggest we zip merge now we have 2 queues, I move in after number 1 and become number 2 and so on until everyone in my queue as been served before you.

Edited by Petminder

SF isn't the real wold, the majority don't push in, therefor the people that do are in the minority.

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 12:26 ----------

Its a more inventive and simplistic way of explaining the same thing, it's a useful method of teaching when someone is struggling to understand.

I'l try another way for you.

Now the polite thing for me to do is wait until your queue as moved and you are served then I and my queue take our turn to be served.

Or do you suggest now we have 2 queues that we zip merge, I move in after number 1 and become number 2 and so on until everyone in my queue as been served before you.

Yoiu need to work on your game theory Smithy it'll stop you from making howlers like this.

The queue forms in response to a non outcome pinch of one dimension in which resource is constrained on a non time determinisitic basis. That's abundantly clear so why you think it equates with a multi goal array of equal outcomes is beyond me.

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 13:14 ----------

Because the majority of drivers don't push in, they wait their turn.

Even sheep form a flock, rather than a queue....