50 mps going to vote no to article 50

I quite agree in a way, if the origin Ref to take us into the EU had been carried out with today's internet media and free flow of information. We would probably never entered.

The 1975 referendum might have had a different result if the public had known the Common Market was going to turn into a political union with 28

members.

After World War II it made sense for Europe's troublemakers Germany France to start trading with each to encourage them not to start any more wars. In the 70's it made sense for the UK to join the Common Market for trade purposes, but not the political union which it turned into. The EU has passed its sell by date and it is good the UK are leaving.

I quite agree in a way, if the origin Ref to take us into the EU had been carried out with today's internet media and free flow of information. We would probably never entered.

The 1975 referendum wasn't about joining. We joined the EEC in 1973. The referendum was about if we wanted to stay in it.

The 1975 referendum wasn't about joining. We joined the EEC in 1973. The referendum was about if we wanted to stay in it.

i didn't mention a date, however if the the ref was held then with the tech of today the vote may well have been different

i didn't mention a date, however if the the ref was held then with the tech of today the vote may well have been different

Yes, it's a fair point that if the UK electorate had had more information at the time, which is available today as consequence of modern day technology, then the result made have been different or much closer.

I think most are selected because of the party they belong to and not because the electorate think they are wise, and whilst they do go against the wishes of the electorate, I have seen nothing that supports the idea that they entitled or expected to do so. The reason they are so refiled by the people is their unwillingness to respect the will of the people.

And I think this is a large part of the problem at the moment. People vote for a party rather than a person, we end up with sanitised policy and no one is really represented properly. I'd love for us to get away from political parties and have all MPs stand independently. PM can either be elected directly but a national vote where you choose from elected MPs or they could be nominated by the MPs.

And I think this is a large part of the problem at the moment. People vote for a party rather than a person, we end up with sanitised policy and no one is really represented properly. I'd love for us to get away from political parties and have all MPs stand independently. PM can either be elected directly but a national vote where you choose from elected MPs or they could be nominated by the MPs.

I agree and the same should also happen with LA Council elections as they are even worse.

Really Phil?

Read what you wrote again. And look up what the 1975 referendum was about. There was no referendum for us to join. The government decided itself that we'd join! The 1975 referendum was about staying. And it wasn't the EU then either.

Edited by Santo

I would prefer a system that selects MP's in the same way a jury is selected, so every five years a group of people from each area is randomly selected to serve on the local council, and they select one member to represent their area in parliament.

I would prefer a system that selects MP's in the same way a jury is selected, so every five years a group of people from each area is randomly selected to serve on the local council, and they select one member to represent their area in parliament.

That could work. I like that idea.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 13:18 ----------

I agree and the same should also happen with LA Council elections as they are even worse.

Yeah, why on earth do our councils need to align with national parties? Makes no sense at all.

What would you do about that person's job?