50 mps going to vote no to article 50

not really if the primary system was adopted, with stringent limits on funding.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 17:54 ----------

Interesting, that to stand for parliament a deposit of £500, yet to stand as a police commissioner it is £5000. Now if thats not to deter non political people i don't know what is.

Limits on funding would still eliminate an high percentage of the population.

Limits on funding would still eliminate an high percentage of the population.

Petminder, the idea is daft.

Your plan would mean a new parliament every five years and no-one in place with any experience.

How old would you have to be to be eligible? 18? That means everyone has to declare their political affiliation aged 18 doesn't it? Unless you want to do away with the idea of separate parties? So that would mean some kind of bland centre party that is refreshed every 5 years.

You think they'd ever get anything done?

You really mustn't take everything Jeremy Clarkson suggests so seriously.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 18:21 ----------

not really if the primary system was adopted, with stringent limits on funding.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 17:54 ----------

Interesting, that to stand for parliament a deposit of £500, yet to stand as a police commissioner it is £5000. Now if thats not to deter non political people i don't know what is.

The deposit is refunded if you get enough share of the vote.

Most people couldn't afford to run a campaign so we end up with political parties or rich people running the country.

i thought we were talking about local campaign to then stand for a party, if the funding is controlled i don't see why it would. It surly better than having parties parachuting their candidates in, like Clegg or Miliban. What if anything have these two got in common with the people they represent

Edited by phil752

i thought we were talking about local campaign to then stand for a party, if the funding is controlled i don't see why it would. It surly better than having parties parachuting their candidates in, like Clegg or Miliban. What if anything have these two got in common with the people they represent

Clegg is wealthy. Sheffield Hallam is a very wealthy area.

Are you suggesting carpet-bagging shouldn't be allowed?

Blunkett was from Brightside. He did a great job didn't he? In turning his voters to UKIP.

Edited by Santo

No, I'm talking about not having any parties, I have just googled my idea to see if it as been used before and it appears to be a very old system of fair government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition

Sortition is inherently egalitarian in that it ensures all citizens have an equal chance of entering office irrespective of any bias in society:[45]

Compared to a voting system – even one that is open to all citizens – a citizen-wide lottery scheme for public office lowers the threshold to office. This is because ordinary citizens do not have to compete against more powerful or influential adversaries in order to take office, and because the selection procedure does not favour those who have pre-existing advantages or connections – as invariably happens with election by preference.

Random selection has the ability to overcome the various demographic biases in race, religion, sex, etc. apparent[to whom?] in most legislative assemblies. Greater perceived fairness can be added by using stratified sampling. For example, the Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform in British Columbia sampled one woman and one man from each electoral district and also ensured representation for First Nations members. Bias may still exist if particular groups are purposefully excluded from the lottery such as happened in Ancient Athens where women, slaves, younger men and foreigners were not eligible.

Clegg is wealthy. Sheffield Hallam is a very wealthy area.

Are you suggesting carpet-bagging shouldn't be allowed?

Blunkett was from Brightside. He did a great job didn't he? In turning his voters to UKIP.

very much so, it about time people from an area represented a area, on a side note a lot of house flipping on expenses would not happen

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 18:54 ----------

You mean Jeremy Clarkson's idea?

not too sure about that

very much so, it about time people from an area represented a area, on a side note a lot of house flipping on expenses would not happen

Anyone from Firth Park or Page Hall like to comment on the advantage of having local boy David Blunkett as their local MP?