When will the political right change/learn?

Bringing back grammar schools, a backward step. Local authorities being undermined by having very little control over our schools.

Things that haven't happened yet, so nothing to learn from. With regards to taking schools outside of the LEA control, there are figures in this thread that says that schools are performing better.

---------- Post added 14-11-2016 at 14:23 ----------

Apart from that, spot on. The Tories are ruining this country for the majority and haven't even got a grip of the issues. So out of touch.

Not sure you can quantify that or even explain how things are being ruined.

It's all very well having an opinion on policy, but suggesting that more than 50% of the population are being ruined sounds like a figure plucked out of the air.

The Conservatives are on the right, and so long as we have out of touch millionaires running the party; ordinary people will not be served well.

They seem to know nothing, about ordinary education, all schools cannot and should perform like private schools.

The NHS is a marvelous, value for money organisation, it does not need to be privateised.

Libertarian-ism is a far right ideology, and is just as barking as communism, it will not work, countrywide.

Privateising council services does nothing to improve them, council run services are often cheaper. Using PFIs does not help, the private contractors always have the upper hand.

They seem to be doing pretty well by all accounts. The electorate certainly seem to think so.

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/polls.html

Perhaps they just don't appeal to you.

They seem to be doing pretty well by all accounts. The electorate certainly seem to think so.

Perhaps they just don't appeal to you.

They are doing well because the opposition is poor, and split.

Things that haven't happened yet, so nothing to learn from. With regards to taking schools outside of the LEA control, there are figures in this thread that says that schools are performing better.

We are changing to grammar schools, I would think that education results have improved, decade on decade, because of technology.

They are doing well because the opposition is poor, and split.

We are changing to grammar schools, I would think that education results have improved, decade on decade, because of technology.

Huh? Technology?

Well, that's a different argument to 'exams are being dumbed-down' which is the standard response.

I didnt really mean that, just more advances brings more learning. Kids start learning at age 5 in this country, they learn at home before that.

Was there as many things to learn 50 years ago?

My earlier point was that schools have improved quite a bit since 2010, so I don't think technological changes have advanced all that much since then to have made that big a difference..

My earlier point was that schools have improved quite a bit since 2010, so I don't think technological changes have advanced all that much since then to have made that big a difference..

Didnt they go down recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/sep/17/gcse-exams-replaced-ebacc-history-pass-rates

Spending on schools has increased over the years, but class sizes have increased.

Didnt they go down recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/sep/17/gcse-exams-replaced-ebacc-history-pass-rates

Spending on schools has increased over the years, but class sizes have increased.

Pass rates yes - as I posted earlier the number of outstanding and good schools (and the number of children in outstanding and good schools) and increased rather significantly.

Pass rates have dropped slightly because the government have tried to address concerns that exams were being dumbed down, so exams are now at the end of the two year period etc, so rely less on short term memory (amongst other changes).

Recent falls (of 2.1%) in people achieving a C in English GCSE for example are due to the government making in mandatory to achieve a C or higher in English, therefore anyone with a D or lower has to retake. This increases the number of people taking the GCSE (with a larger proportion of children with lower attainment) and so the pass rate goes down.

Therefore, what on the face of it might seem negative (pass rates falling) is actually down to the government trying to get everybody to a certain level of education, which is surely a good thing.