Sheffield Speedway Tigers

kath

anyone follow this team I use to when they were very good in the late 60s.I dont live in sheffield now ,but wonder if its worth visiting for the speedway?What evening is it still Thursdays? The great Frank Varey was the manager when I last went,some water under the bridge since then!Still they were some heart stopping riders then!

Nicky Allot is the son of former Tiger Guy Allot,who was Tommy's younger brother,Nicky's son Adam also rode for the Tigers aswell,but he moved on to Kings Lynn this season.

If anyones interested,there is a meeting marking the 75th year since Speedway was first staged at Owlerton on Good Friday evening.

To answer Kath's question,yes the Tigers still race on thursdays at 7.45pm,but the sport is alot different and faster than the 19 60's,the bikes now zip around at 75+mph and it costs £10 to get in,but Owlerton has also changed with the times thankfully lol

my dad started taking me to the speedway when i was 4 .1969 jim airey was my fave rider.met john dews in 1978 when he was manager sadly he is no longer with us ....went to owlerton right up to to 1980 but stopped going when the glovers took over started going to the odd meeting from 2000 onwards ...

can anyone confirm if the tigers once won a meeting where every race was a 5-1 think they rode against kings lynn:thumbsup:

I can remember a few of the riders in the mid 60s.

Bengt Larsson,Bob Paulson,Jim Airey,David Baugh,Reginald Wilson,and occasionaly Nigel Boocock( I think he came on loan!)

Memory not so good though,any advances,thanks for your replies,Kath

Archived