Sheffield Speedway Tigers

kath

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by wednesdayowl

I can remember going to the speedway in the 70's, when two of my cousins rode for Sheffield Tigers, anyone remember them - Mick and Sidney Sheldrick.

Spoke to Sid not too long ago as he bought a few speedway programmes off me on ebay. From his riding days at Bradford.

Tells me he's doing a bit of Grass Track these days.

Originally posted by George

i can remember a tigers rider called BILLY BALES tiny guy in the 60s and a young guy who rode for kings Lynn cant think of his name but i think he went to drugs/booze etc but he was fast .

Mike Lee is the rider in question. He ended up doing time for Drugs. This ended his speedway. Is now employed as a coach at Mildenhall Speedway.

When I used to watch the Tigers, the main men were Reg Wilson and Doug 'Flyer' Wyer. Anyone know what became of him? I still remember Ivan Mauger causing a near riot when he tried to stop a race he'd been excluded from by wheeling his bike across the track.

• 4 months later...

I can remember staying behind after the main event to watch the novices races when Doug "Flyer" Wyer was in them.Sheffield have had some great riders down the years - Shawn Moran - Sam Ermolenko etc: Shame they are not competing at hte highest level anymore.

I used to deliver Frank Varey's newspapers (he lived at Grenoside) and he often gave me a couple of comps. I was at Owlerton the night that Guy Allot got a spike through his neck.

My favorite rider was Clive Featherby (apologies if it's spelt wrong). He was a grumpy bugger but was always the best bet for a max.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody remember Dougie McClaghlan's motor bike shop which was next to the Owlerton Post Office opposite the Sheffield Speedway Stadium.

He used to tune up and reair quite a few of the old rider's bikes.

One of his mechanics was one of the Glover boys from Owlerton.

Happy Days

Archived