Sheffield Speedway Tigers

kath

Hello Bluebird62,

Love the handle! Sorry can't remeber anything from the 50's, I was born in 49, only went to Speedway from 67- 71, then I sold my treasured Norton 99SS to buy a car, and it wasn't the same. The next memories I have are from 72 - 76 at the Black Swan, Merrie England Bar, Bailey's and later on the Fiesta, but they are all in another thread!

• 1 year later...

I went to see the Sheffield tigers every thursday during the 70's when Doug Wyer was their number one rider along side Reg Wilson, Arnold Harley, Craig Pendlebury, Keith Evans, Tony Boyle, Nicky Allott, and as far as Shaun Moran, Eric Broadbelt, Billy Burton. by far the favourite was Doug Wyer (Flyer Wyer) No1, captain Reg Wilson. Famous riders seen at Owlerton were Ole Olsen (Coventry), Ivan Mauger (Exeter), Peter Collins (Belle Vue), Chris Morton (Belle Vue) brother of Dave Morton who rode for the Tigers, Les Collins (Belle Vue) Brother of Peter and Neil Collins, Bruce Penhall (Cradley Heath), Bent Rassmussen (Hackney), Ray Wilson (Birmingham)Dave Jessup and John Davis (Reading), Mike Lee from Kings Lynn, Martin Ashby (Swindon), kenny Carter (Halifax) with Ian Cartwright (Halifax), Scott Autrey (Exeter), Bernie Pearsen, Mitch Shirra (Coventry), Alan Wilkinson (Belle Vue), Keith White (Hackney), Steve Wheatherley and Gordon Kennett (White City), Jan Andersson (Reading), Bobby Schartz or Schwartz (Cradley Heath) & (usa) Terry Betts (Kings Lynn), Kelly Moran (Hull), Jan Zabek (Sheffield), Ila Teromaa (Birmingham),Tommy Morley (Sheffield & USA), Jim Mcmillian (Wolverhampton & Scotland), John Louis (Ipswich), Joey Owen (Hull), Tom Owen (Newcastle), Graham Drury (Hull),Hans Neilsen (Wolverhampton), by far my all time favourite was Ivan Mauger (Exeter (6 Times world Champion) rode owlerton like his home track, close came Doug Wyer and Peter Collins, thrilling riders to watch always gave 100%. Watching matches between Sheffield & Belle Vue (War of the Roses) were rather special, like Manchester United coming to town. Also Zenon Plech Polish Rider, I've watched on tv today's riders just doesn't seem the same... as the 70's stars. There were always a buzz round Owlerton on a Thursday night. Do they still play the circus tune for the riders to walk out to at owlerton these days?

Good days at the Owlerton Track. Is Reg Wilson still the current Tigers Manager. Speedway is an exciting/Dangerous sport 60+ mph without a brake..but how we all love it. I also rode Cycle Speedway for Wadsley Bridge, can anyone remember keith Hackett, David Rowlands Ian or Keith Bullimore, Martin Wilde who rode Cycle Speedway for England. I still Remeber riding away matches at Parkwood Springs. ( Still got a few of the Newspaper Cuttings)...

Dougie 'Flyer' Wyer is a friend of mine and I can say he's still healthy and well, and also still riding motorbikes. Last time I saw him, a few months ago, he'd got a Hayabusa. Met him in Hospital about 3 years ago after we'd both taken a spill. Really nice Bloke.

Chris

Archived