Sheffield Speedway Tigers

kath

rogG have some information of the riders of the 1947 Tigers, that finished second behind Middlesbrough in the National League Division 2. Riders used 1947.

Tommy Allott, Tommy Bateman, Jack Bibby, Stan Williams, Len Williams, Bruce Semmens, J.D. White (Jack Duncan), Dick Campbell, Dennis Parker, Alf Elliott, Danny Lee, Ralph Horne, Dick Geary tranferred to Wigan early into the season.

April 17th: Sheffield: 65 Wigan: 19 T Allott 12, T Bateman 10, J Bibby 10, S Williams 10, D Geary 9, B Semmens 8, A Elliott 6, D Parker 0.

April 19th: Wigan: 32 Sheffield: 51 T Allott 12, T Bateman 11, S Williams 10, D Geary 7, J Bibby 5, B Semmens 3, D Parker 2, A Elliott1.

April 21st: Newcastle: 38 Sheffield: 45 T Allott 11, S Williams 9, T Bateman 6, D Geary 5, B Semmens 4, L Williams 4, J Bibby 3, J.D. White 3.

April 23rd: Glasgow: 31 Sheffield: 52 T Allott 12, T Bateman 12, S Williams 11, D Geary 7, L Williams 5, B Semmens 4, J.D. White 1, J Bibby 0.

April 24th: Sheffield: 58 Glasgow: 26 S Williams 12, T Bateman 10, T Allott 9, B Semmens 8, J.D. White 8, D Geary 6, L Williams 3, A Elliott 2.

Brilliant start to the season by Sheffield. In May Dick Geary was transferred to Wigan and Stan Williams dislocated a shoulder, arguably costing Sheffield the title.

Hi Kath,

What about the Jay brothers, Alan & Stuart who own Jay's Car Breakers at Treeton. My wife lived near them at Catcliffe and used to polish Alan's leathers when she was about 13. I also remeber Ivan Mauger riding around 1968, and as others have mentioned the Boococks, Eric & Nigel and Clive Fetherby who was excellent. Not been since 1970, got into road racing and still go to the classic and vintage meetings.

There was a time in the 1960's when the club had an injury crisis and all the Jays rode in the Tigers team,the 3 brothers Alan,Stuart and Derek alongside father Wilf who came out of retirement and must have been about 60 at the time!In 1970 I started my involvement with speedway as start marshal at Doncaster and Stuart was in the Dragons team.Wilf would still do a few laps after the meeting,roaring round with a ciggy in his mouth!

• 1 year later...

Hello wednesday owl, i remember both mick and sid i was a good friend of sids when he bought is first bike off stuart hickman after his bad accident, and went to kingslynn with him when he was learning, and remember our holiday in yarmouth many years ago when we were young. how are they all? i heard they went to live in blackpool many years ago are they still there? Ive looked for sid on facebook but cant find him, are you still intouch? If you are remember me to him my names dave bratton nephew of the late harry parkin time keeper down at owlerton in the 60s and 70s. many thanks dave.

i went to the speedway in the 60's added to the names above I remember David Crane, he was a small guy did any of you go to the christmas parties at the speedway? I went once, danced with Bob Paulson i knew his then girlfriend Tanya. had to walk home but Bob saw me on route and gave me a lift.

I used to go to Owlerton regularly with my Dad as a young lad, it was a real treat. My favourite rider was Clive Featherby. I remember the leather jackets some supporters used to wear with Craven on the back with Angels wings. You could buy badges from the souvenir stall that you could fasten year bars underneath,transfers and back issue programmes were also on sale. A fad was to have a clipboard to fasten your programme on to do the scoring with an Esso tigers tail hanging from it and stickers and chequered tape!! I think blue and yellow were the Tigers colours. can't be sure,,,,

Can remember Arnold Haley and John Dews riding then but can't remember the others ,can anybody remember them?

Guy Allott was run over by the grader driven, I think, by Ronnie Cliffe.

Derrol Melbin ( the Auzzy cangeroo ), Toni Robinson, Jack Kitchen, Clive Featherby and others were great.but I remember Peter Craven, from Belle Vue Aces riding the track which was awash with water and he never put a foot down on the ground to complete the four laps easily, what a rider.

I remember Ivan Mauger, the world champ riding litte a bat out of hell but the best I ever saw at Owlerton was Ove Fundin, maybe the best ever rider there ever was. Great days they were.

bob paulson,

was a friend of my fathers they worked together at baldwin and francis,

as a kid we went to watch him ride,he also came to house all the time.

he was known to me as uncle bob,

he was part of the team that won the world championships,

i met all the team and ivan maugers,etc

even rode round the track on his bike,

unfortunately he commited sucide in the 80s.

He was a true legend .

happy memorys.

Archived