Prison officer strike! your thoughts??

Back on track.

I would like to know how many prison officers get attacked while doing their job each week over the last few years and has it got worse. If it has then clearly they need more support from government. No officer should be subjected to attack while doing their duties. Also can they claim compensation as the police do if they are attacked?

Possibly, but that may be part of the problem.

If we can get to a state where the vast bulk of prisoners can be successfully rehabilitated then in time less money will need to be spent on the NHS, police and prisons since there will be less crime and the consequences of crime.

There needs to be some joined up thinking about this.

never really going to happen, people are just wired differently.

Prison Office have tough job, with all the cuts.

Back on track.

I would like to know how many prison officers get attacked while doing their job each week over the last few years and has it got worse. If it has then clearly they need more support from government. No officer should be subjected to attack while doing their duties. Also can they claim compensation as the police do if they are attacked?

2014:

The number of serious attacks on prison officers by inmates increased by 45% in two years, figures released by Labour have revealed.

In 2012, a total of 543 assaults on prison officers were referred to the police - up from 374 in 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27051308

2016:

More than 1,000 prison officers are attacked by lags in just two months

The shock figures add to concerns over rising levels of violence in Britain’s jails as staff cuts and the growing trade in legal highs take their toll on the system

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/more-1000-prison-officers-attacked-7454790

The only prisoners who think theyre "soft" have very hard lives. They arent soft. The reason there is so much reoffending is the lack of training inside an oppotunities outside. Do you want to work along side an armed robber or a sex offender?

---------- Post added 16-11-2016 at 12:39 ----------

Utter codswallop.

Its not,they know crime is easy money and that's why they re-offend.

Its not,they know crime is easy money and that's why they re-offend.

The Americans incarcerate more per capita than any other country on earth. That's a fact. Some states have the death penalty. Check out their crime rates, their murder rates and their reoffending numbers see how they compare and get back to me.

Why some people hold the American prison system and/or the American justice system as something to aim for mystifies me.

The Americans incarcerate more per capita than any other country on earth. That's a fact. Some states have the death penalty. Check out their crime rates, their murder rates and their reoffending numbers see how they compare and get back to me.

Why some people hold the American prison system and/or the American justice system as something to aim for mystifies me.

So they don't commit crime for easy money then,who said anything about bringing the death penalty back.

Then you want to provide training for the criminals to do proper jobs,then what. About ordinary working class kids who pay for their own careers.

So they don't commit crime for easy money then,who said anything about bringing the death penalty back.

Then you want to provide training for the criminals to do proper jobs,then what. About ordinary working class kids who pay for their own careers.

Criminals don't want proper jobs because proper jobs won't give them the life style they desire.

Criminals don't want proper jobs because proper jobs won't give them the life style they desire.

So all criminals are wealthy? I'm not sure you've thought that through. Some might be but they're a minority. Most live in poverty in crappy areas do t they?

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 12:11 ----------

It's not doing the states any good though is it? Why do we want to be like them?

So all criminals are wealthy? I'm not sure you've thought that through. Some might be but they're a minority. Most live in poverty in crappy areas do t they?

---------- Post added 18-11-2016 at 12:11 ----------

It's not doing the states any good though is it? Why do we want to be like them?

Did I say they were all wealthy?:confused: