Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

So you think arresting three old aged pensioners is justified ?

I personally think it is the lowest of the low , despicable and disgusting, but this is SYP we are talking about ,so dosnt surprise me with their track record .

It depends what the pensioners were doing. I don't know what they were doing, but pensioners or not, they are not above the law.

Every right to peacefully protest.

No right to hinder someone going about their legal business.

Then I think you fail to understand what a peaceful protest is.

To clarify, a peaceful progress includes using non violent resistance to stop something from happening.

For example, the Cherokee Indians peacefully protested their forced relocation by standing their ground, without any violence. This prevented people going about their 'legal business' of relocating them, but that did not in any way stop it being a peaceful protest.

The tree sitters of Pureora peacefully protested the felling of the Pureora forest in New Zealand in 1978 by climbing the trees. This stopped the fellers from going about their 'legal business' but was a very successful peaceful protest. The Government agreed to stop all felling and the area became a park.

Do you think both of these were wrong?

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 17:59 ----------

It depends what the pensioners were doing. I don't know what they were doing, but pensioners or not, they are not above the law.

I know what they were doing. They were standing peacefully by one of the trees in question.

Every right to peacefully protest.

No right to hinder someone going about their legal business.

Do people have the right to expect cars legally parked at night to be still there in the morning?

Do the working people of Rustling Road have the right to a restful nights sleep, and not be woken at 2am by people banging on their doors and then again at 5am by industrial chain saws?

Do the working council tax payers of Sheffield have the right to expect the council to respect the report from an Independent Tree Panel, no doubt commissioned at a substantial cost?

Do the people of Sheffield have the right to expect said expert report to be made available with time for its results to be considered and digested, not snook out on the council website at 4.30am, 30 minutes before its recommendations are ignored?

Then I think you fail to understand what a peaceful protest is.

To clarify, a peaceful progress includes using non violent resistance to stop something from happening.

For example, the Cherokee Indians peacefully protested their forced relocation by standing their ground, without any violence. This prevented people going about their 'legal business' of relocating them, but that did not in any way stop it being a peaceful protest.

The tree sitters of Pureora peacefully protested the felling of the Pureora forest in New Zealand in 1978 by climbing the trees. This stopped the fellers from going about their 'legal business' but was a very successful peaceful protest. The Government agreed to stop all felling and the area became a park.

Do you think both of these were wrong?

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 17:59 ----------

I know what they were doing. They were standing peacefully by one of the trees in question.

Just because it is peaceful doesn't mean the action is automatically legal.

I've no knowledge of the law in the USA and New Zealand, so can't comment on your irrelevant examples.

they can come and chop the trees on our street, the sap, seeds and leaves are a menace every year and yet they chop down trees, resurface roads and pavements on side roads...

Surely felling a tree though would eventually kill and rots the roots and nearby homes would be susceptible to subsidence?? .. Would the council pay up?

i can see there's pros and cons for every arguement but ... 8 trees at once? !!

Im not big on protests , thats well known on here, and we all know SCC are incompetent and useless , that goes without saying .

But this isnt about protesting. Its about SYP , and their heavy handed bullying tactics towards old aged pensioners and justifying it by hiding behind some obscure , pathetic piece of legislation. They are despicable .

Just because it is peaceful doesn't mean the action is automatically legal.

I've no knowledge of the law in the USA and New Zealand, so can't comment on your irrelevant examples.

They aren't irrelevant thank you.

They were examples of peaceful protests. You claimed, quite contradictorily, that you agreed with the right to peacefully protest but did not agree with people hindering the ability of other people to work, apparently not understanding that peaceful protests often are intended to hinder the ability of people to work.

The examples illustrated that.

They aren't irrelevant thank you.

They were examples of peaceful protests. You claimed, quite contradictorily, that you agreed with the right to peacefully protest but did not agree with people hindering the ability of other people to work, apparently not understanding that peaceful protests often are intended to hinder the ability of people to work.

The examples illustrated that.

Just because it is peaceful doesn't automatically mean it is legal.