Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

We had this conversation earlier. The authority is held in the Local Government Act 1972, Schedule 12 Part III.

I'm afraid I must have forgotten. Would this be the relevant act?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1972/70/schedule/12/part/III?view=plain

Because I can't find the word referendum in it. It seems to be about parish councils, we have a city council, not a parish.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who/parish-councils.html

The majority of the city is not in a parish (or town) looking at that, meaning it must be the city council that governs that area.

Edited by Cyclone

Having recently read the Local Government Act 1972 I don't feel that this would be at all useful in this case. This only applies to parish areas, and does not allow a group of people to call a citywide poll.

There is nothing to stop a group of people calling a city wide poll: they just have to do it parish by parish.

What the point is of getting a small area to vote on a citywide issue I am not entirely sure.

What is the point of protesters camping out to protect an individual tree in a city wide issue?

If a parish is only able to resolve the issue for its own trees, then is that not a result?

It leaves the protesters free to cause trouble in another parish.

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 10:36 ----------

The majority of the city is not in a parish (or town) looking at that, meaning it must be the city council that governs that area.

Which parts of the city do you suggest are not in parishes? The whole country is divided into parishes, many of them may be archaic or abandoned, but they still exist if only as a line on an antique map, but that is all that they need to be.

There is nothing to stop a group of people calling a city wide poll: they just have to do it parish by parish.

There's a few parishes in the villages to the north and north west. What is your point?

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/elections/types-of-elections/parish-map.html

Goodbye :wave:

Edited by Flexo
Added link to the map of parishes (villages)

What is the point of protesters camping out to protect an individual tree in a city wide issue?

If a parish is only able to resolve the issue for its own trees, then is that not a result?

It leaves the protesters free to cause trouble in another parish.

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 10:36 ----------

Which parts of the city do you suggest are not in parishes? The whole country is divided into parishes, many of them may be archaic or abandoned, but they still exist if only as a line on an antique map, but that is all that they need to be.

What? Only 35% of the English population live in civil parishes.

It is possible to create new parishes (100 new civil parishes have been created since 1997). It does not however follow that just because there may have once been an ancient parish where you live you can suddenly use the rights set out in Local Government Act 1972.

Reviving a civil parish is not simple. It requires a petition, and the local authority to consider the proposal.

It is certainly not the case that a resident in an area Sheffield, not living in a parish, would be able to call a parish meeting. There would be no elected parish councillors for a start.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/roles-who/parish-councils.html

I already provided that link, it lists Bradfield Parish, Ecclesfield Parish and Stocksbridge town.

The vast majority of the city is not in a parish according to that but is directly governed by a city council and not a parish council.

---------- Post added 15-03-2017 at 10:54 ----------

So, we've established that STAG can't call any kind of poll. Glad that's clear.

What? Only 35% of the English population live in civil parishes...

I think you are referring to parish councils (confirmed by the fact you refer to councillors): a parish without a council is still a parish and can hold a parish meeting. If you are not clear where the parishes lie, perhaps go talk to the church: they probably have some old maps.

It is certainly not the case that a resident in an area Sheffield, not living in a parish, would be able to call a parish meeting.

Quite right: it needs six.

But of course you would rather argue with me than give it a go take the argument to the council: if it turns out I am right it would take away your grounds for protest and we wouldn't want that would we?

The vast majority of the city is not in a parish according to that but is directly governed by a city council and not a parish council.

I'll say again: you don't need a parish council to hold a parish meeting.

As to whether a disused, archaic ecclesiastical parish meets the requirements of the Act is an interesting question, but I'd like to hear the councils arguments as to why refusing to treat it as such is not an attempt to subvert the will of the people...

So, we've established that STAG can't call any kind of poll. Glad that's clear.

No, all we have established is that you will use any excuse to avoid resolving the issue so that you can carry on playing at being rebels.

The legislation clearly refers to the parish council.

"I", who am not a member of STAG, nor have I been out protesting, will "use" any means to avoid "resolving" the issue. Sure.

Whereas you, having read some old legislation will make claims that you can't substantiate.