Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

I'm sorry but none of that strikes me as that unreasonable to be honest. Not ideal - but not the catastrophe presented.

Is it not unreasonable that when felling is supposed to be a last resort they proceed to fell, even when other in scope solutions are suitable?

Guest makapaka
Is it not unreasonable that when felling is supposed to be a last resort they proceed to fell, even when other in scope solutions are suitable?

I was just looking at it overall - only c. 15% of trees felled, and I'd imagine a decent proportion of those were not in dispute.

The 15% has also been replaced with new trees.

So after all the work we're going to have the same number of trees made up of 85% of our original trees, 15% new trees and entirely new roads paths and streetlights to boot.

I was just looking at it overall - only c. 15% of trees felled, and I'd imagine a decent proportion of those were not in dispute.

The 15% has also been replaced with new trees.

So after all the work we're going to have the same number of trees made up of 85% of our original trees, 15% new trees and entirely new roads paths and streetlights to boot.

We are paying 2.5billion quid, we should be getting new roads, new lights and still have +95% of our original trees. Taking the Rustlings Road trees as a guide that would mean 80% of the healthy trees they are chopping down don't need chopping down.

Guest makapaka
We are paying 2.5billion quid, we should be getting new roads, new lights and still have +95% of our original trees. Taking the Rustlings Road trees as a guide that would mean 80% of the healthy trees they are chopping down don't need chopping down.

Based on your assumptions we've got 87% and a a viable scheme. I don't think that's bad going.

As I mentioned the Rustlings Road trees I think this is quite relevant.

Remember the 100 year old Lime tree, the closest one to Hunters Bar that they chopped down? The reason they gave for chopping it down was not the cerb but the hump in the pavement. Amey have finally planted a new tree in that location. More of a branch really but they have finally planted something.

They then laid tarmac OVER the lump.

---------- Post added 17-03-2017 at 19:50 ----------

Based on your assumptions we've got 87% and a a viable scheme. I don't think that's bad going.

I bet if you had a lovely garden and you had paid a gardener a lot of money to look after it you wouldn't be quite so happy if they concreted over 13% of it so they could go home early.

Guest makapaka
As I mentioned the Rustlings Road trees I think this is quite relevant.

Remember the 100 year old Lime tree, the closest one to Hunters Bar that they chopped down? The reason they gave for chopping it down was not the cerb but the hump in the pavement. Amey have finally planted a new tree in that location. More of a branch really but they have finally planted something.

They then laid tarmac OVER the lump.

---------- Post added 17-03-2017 at 19:50 ----------

I bet if you had a lovely garden and you had paid a gardener a lot of money to look after it you wouldn't be quite so happy if they concreted over 13% of it so they could go home early.

No I wouldn't but I don't think it's quite the same. It would have been nice to keep more but it could have been worse.

Taking the Rustlings Road trees as a guide that would mean 80% of the healthy trees they are chopping down don't need chopping down.

They took down 8 out of 30 trees on Rustlings Road as far as I know - the trees that were never due to be felled / replaced didn't go to the ITP.

Guest makapaka

The point I'm trying to make is the figures don't suggest a wanton destruction of the city's trees and whilst some removals have stirred a lot of emotion, perhaps rightly, it's not the end of the world by any stretch and the city overall has benefited greatly by the scheme.

Edited by makapaka

The point I'm trying to make is the figures don't suggest a wanton destruction of the city's trees and whilst some removals have stirred a lot of emotion, perhaps rightly, it's not the end of the world by any stretch and the city overall has benefited greatly by the scheme.

The city was always going to 'benefit' from this but to call it a scheme is disingenuous. It is costing 2.5 BILLION QUID, you make it sound like Amey are doing us a favour resurfacing our roads.

2.5 BILLION QUID and they are still chopping down healthy trees that DON'T NEED TO BE CUT DOWN just so they can cream off a bit more cash.

I don't know how old you are but if you have kids they could easily be dead before these twigs Amey are planting give us anything like the canopy cover we had before Lodge and Amey came along. If your kids have kids they won't be growing up surrounded by wonderful mature trees, they will never see the city as we have been lucky enough to see it. And I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for the on going efforts of people highlighting the unnecessary destruction Amey would have quietly cut down a few thousand more by now.