Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

Guest makapaka
Does any of this somehow justify removing trees for no good reason? :huh:

Or is it just one more attempt to avoid the issue.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 20:19 ----------

So you're attempting to justify the unnecessary removal of trees, cause we have plenty more.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 20:20 ----------

How has the city benefitted from trees being removed for no good reason?

The only "argument" you have here is to try to minimise, distract or ignore the point.

I'm saying in my opinion the replacement of a low proportion of trees is not as big an issue as people are making out.

Also that it's not like people are hacking through woodland. They were trees that were planted for decorative purposes years ago that it's probably no longer practicable to maintain in suburban areas of a large city.

It's just to me it's not as big an issue as people are making out.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 20:54 ----------

These street trees are helping clean up the toxic air we're breathing in. The twiglet replacements will take years to reach the same canopy size. You do realise we're the 3rd worst air-polluted city in the UK? Why would anyone want to make that worse all because SCC and Amey won't use the engineering solutions that are in their contract at no extra charge?

The relatively low number of trees being removed (and replaced) isn't going to make that much difference surely.

I was surprised when you said we were the 3rd most air polluted city - I couldn't find anything that says that but will stand corrected. Birmingham Manchester Leeds London etc . However it stands to reason that we will be up there due to Sheffield being 5/6th biggest.

Guest makapaka
Robin H has already posted several links as regards air pollution so I won't repeat them but yes it does make that much of a difference. And we are 3rd - shameful!

I googled it and a WHO report from last year doesn't have us anywhere near 3rd but I don't profess to be an expert on the subject.

I don't doubt that it's not going to improve air quality by removing trees but surely such a small proportion is going to have a minimal impact.

If it's an air pollution argument there are also surely better targets in terms of reduction.

I googled it and a WHO report from last year doesn't have us anywhere near 3rd but I don't profess to be an expert on the subject.

I don't doubt that it's not going to improve air quality by removing trees but surely such a small proportion is going to have a minimal impact.

If it's an air pollution argument there are also surely better targets in terms of reduction.

Have also checked WHO report ref UK most polluted cities in September 2016

Sheffield is not in the first 12. Would be interested to know where poster

got the details from

Suggest you read the science stuff posted already and it will become very clear

Guest makapaka
Suggest you read the science stuff posted already and it will become very clear

It's a 60 page thread. Where are we shown as 3rd?

I'm not trying to leg anyone up I'd be interested to know but I can't find anything that says that. I'd be surprised given the reduction in heavy industry etc.

These street trees are helping clean up the toxic air we're breathing in. The twiglet replacements will take years to reach the same canopy size. You do realise we're the 3rd worst air-polluted city in the UK? Why would anyone want to make that worse all because SCC and Amey won't use the engineering solutions that are in their contract at no extra charge?

Saplings, not twiglets. Exaggeration doesn't improve your arguments. You should provide a link to back up your claims about being the 3rd most polluted city in the UK.

Saplings, not twiglets. Exaggeration doesn't improve your arguments. You should provide a link to back up your claims about being the 3rd most polluted city in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/07/who-names-uk-cities-breaching-safe-air-pollution-levels

According to the data referenced here Sheffield has an annual mean PM10 level of 23ug/m3. This is joint with Birmingham. The only city with a higher mean PM10 level is Nottingham. London has a figure of 22ug/m3

The data does not include Manchester, which as another major city could arguably be higher.

Perhaps it was this that annbaker was referring to.

Guest makapaka
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/may/07/who-names-uk-cities-breaching-safe-air-pollution-levels

According to the data referenced here Sheffield has an annual mean PM10 level of 23ug/m3. This is joint with Birmingham. The only city with a higher mean PM10 level is Nottingham. London has a figure of 22ug/m3

The data does not include Manchester, which as another major city could arguably be higher.

Perhaps it was this that annbaker was referring to.

I don't know how to post a link but that suggests breaches not ranking - there are loads of hits on Google to the WHO report in 2016 and we are nowhere near the top of the list, not even in the top 12 - does anyone else know how to post them?

Without a link the following are ranked;

Port talbot

Glasgow

London

Scunthorpe

Leeds

Nottingham

Middlesbrough

Stoke

Stanford

Southampton

Oxford

We don't appear on the list.

As a further example the link posted highlights Chesterfield - are you saying that Chesterfield is on a par with london? Come on.