Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

The dawn raid on Rustlings Road trees is still appearing in the National news:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/nov/28/sheffield-trees-dispute-scenes-putin-russia-nick-clegg-arrests

Let us hope this publicity will encourage the council to listen to the tree experts in future.

Have I misunderstood this? Are Amey/SCC actually taking two of the protestors to court this Thursday, even after their own non-apology?

As a proportion very few houses have a view directly into a park, and not that many roads pass them. What's so unimportant about these trees that they should be removed for no good reason?

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 08:44 ----------

Can you think of a reason other than profit to ignore the independent tree panel recommendations and to arrive at 0500 to remove trees that could have stayed?

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 08:46 ----------

Swerve around it and get run over?

Wow. Is it bulging as much as a parked car?

Do you get run over everytime you have to pass a parked car?

I'm going to hazard a guess that No, is the answer to both questions, so... Do you even ride a bike?

Far more than yourself I would imagine. About 200 miles a week on the road in the summer, maybe 150 a week on the road in the winter. That includes both commuting and training miles. Is that enough for me to offer a valid opinion? Yes.

Is a bulging tree root as obvious in the dark to both rider and car driver behind as a parked car would be? No.

What happens to the adjacent road surface where the kerb has been removed? It bulges up and breaks up, eventually, at a guess. Then what?

So it becomes more of a hazard.

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 12:43 ----------

Which trees that you know of are bulging so far into the road that you would not be able to safely ride a bike?

Of the phase 10 felling, only 14 trees are listed as 'discriminatory'. This would be the category of tree that impinged on the safe passage of either the carriageway or the pavement (for people with damaged sight, or people in wheelchairs and mobility scooters, or people cycling or driving on the carriage way). That is around 2%

What happens to the adjacent road surface where the kerb has been removed? It bulges up and breaks up, eventually, at a guess. Then what? Another pothole for cyclists to dodge or damage a wheel in, or finish up sprawled in the road.

Far more than yourself I would imagine. About 200 miles a week on the road in the summer, maybe 150 a week on the road in the winter. That includes both commuting and training miles. Is that enough for me to offer a valid opinion? Yes.

Is a bulging tree root as obvious in the dark to both rider and car driver behind as a parked car would be? No.

What happens to the adjacent road surface where the kerb has been removed? It bulges up and breaks up, eventually, at a guess. Then what?

So it becomes more of a hazard.

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 12:43 ----------

What happens to the adjacent road surface where the kerb has been removed? It bulges up and breaks up, eventually, at a guess. Then what? Another pothole for cyclists to dodge or damage a wheel in, or finish up sprawled in the road.

There are many cycle routes in Sheffield where tree roots have damaged the surface so badly that they are almost unusable. Take Europa Link for example.

200 miles a week, but you can't move out around a 'bulging' tree without being run over?

That's 40 miles a day btw, if you cycle 5 days a week...

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 13:06 ----------

Probably a practical requirement though to prevent the base of a tree bulging into the roadway.

It was the "base of the tree" you said though, not a root that was pushing up under the carriageway... I struggle to imagine how far a tree base could bulge into the road, yet still remain invisible to cyclists and motorists because it's dark... This invisible tree does sound very dangerous, but how will Amey be able to locate it to cut it down? Just look for the crashed bikes and cars I suppose then walk around until they bump into it.

Edited by Cyclone

Other cities do it with absolutely no problems. It wouldn't be in the AMEY contract if they didn't think it was a viable solution, and nor would the Independent Tree Panel recommend it if it caused problems.

200 miles a week, but you can't move out around a 'bulging' tree without being run over?

That's 40 miles a day btw, if you cycle 5 days a week...

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 13:06 ----------

It was the "base of the tree" you said though, not a root that was pushing up under the carriageway... I struggle to imagine how far a tree base could bulge into the road, yet still remain invisible to cyclists and motorists because it's dark... This invisible tree does sound very dangerous, but how will Amey be able to locate it to cut it down? Just look for the crashed bikes and cars I suppose then walk around until they bump into it.

It is 40 miles per day, or alternatively its a 15 mile round trip commute 5 days a week. Plus 60 to 70 miles on a Sunday, plus a couple of training rides in the week. Just in case you were doubtful.

Seeing as we're being pedantic, are the tree roots not part of the base of a tree?

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 21:30 ----------

Other cities do it with absolutely no problems. It wouldn't be in the AMEY contract if they didn't think it was a viable solution, and nor would the Independent Tree Panel recommend it if it caused problems.

Other cities remove the kerb and what? Put something in its place? Just leave a gap in the kerb? What stops the roots of the tree damaging the road surface like they do to pavements?

Post a link so I can see a picture or read about it please.

You like your cycling then, but you're worried that moving out to go around a bulging tree base will somehow see you run over by a car? What happens when it's just a pothole instead? Do you still get run over?

Is there an example of a tree base bulging into the road anywhere, there must be a photo of such a thing.

Guest makapaka
As a proportion very few houses have a view directly into a park, and not that many roads pass them. What's so unimportant about these trees that they should be removed for no good reason?

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 08:44 ----------

Can you think of a reason other than profit to ignore the independent tree panel recommendations and to arrive at 0500 to remove trees that could have stayed?

---------- Post added 29-11-2016 at 08:46 ----------

Swerve around it and get run over?

Wow. Is it bulging as much as a parked car?

Do you get run over everytime you have to pass a parked car?

I'm going to hazard a guess that No, is the answer to both questions, so... Do you even ride a bike?

Yes a couple. A level of incompetence in terms of management / public relations. A cost / benefit analysis.

Both are more likely than people sat scheming about how they can make people's lives worse.

A cost/benefit analysis would directly relate to profit then wouldn't it.

Incompetence could be a valid answer, but it doesn't mean that people shouldn't protest against it, in fact, it's even more reason to protest.

I don't think anyone is deliberately making lives worse, I think they don't give one little thought about lives, they are interested in profit for Amey.