Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

I am sure this has been raised before but here is some very recent work......Exeter based so not some local fronting a case.

I argued this before, basically removing trees removes our well-being. This is not something soft or intangible it is as hard and as quantifiable as pounds spent by the NHS in dealing with the consequences. Many of us feel this intuitively but it si clear that AMEY and their policy of tree removal is affecting the mental healths of citizens including children.

As ever it needs to be stopped and their constructed arguments to support this need to be rebuked....when the trees are gone they will admit the error.....

it is a form of violence against the public--shocking

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/67/2/147/2900179/Doses-of-Neighborhood-Nature-The-Benefits-for

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/featurednews/title_571299_en.html

---------- Post added 27-02-2017 at 18:17 ----------

QUOTES FROM THE PAPERS ABOVE

The economic costs of anxiety and mood disorders, such as depression, have been estimated at €187.4 billion per year for Europe alone (Gustavsson et al. 2012, Olesen et al. 2012). Alongside stress, they are some of the most prevalent work-related health issues (13.7% of all reported work-related cases; Eurostat 2012).

the science....

We demonstrate that of five neighborhood nature characteristics tested, vegetation cover and afternoon bird abundances were positively associated with a lower prevalence of depression, anxiety, and stress. Furthermore, dose–response modeling shows a threshold response at which the population prevalence of mental-health issues is significantly lower beyond minimum limits of neighborhood vegetation cover (depression more than 20% cover, anxiety more than 30% cover, stress more than 20% cover). Our findings demonstrate quantifiable associations of mental health with the characteristics of nearby nature that people actually experience.

.....SO why are we cutting down trees amey?

I am sure this has been raised before but here is some very recent work......Exeter based so not some local fronting a case.

I argued this before, basically removing trees removes our well-being. This is not something soft or intangible it is as hard and as quantifiable as pounds spent by the NHS in dealing with the consequences. Many of us feel this intuitively but it si clear that AMEY and their policy of tree removal is affecting the mental healths of citizens including children.

As ever it needs to be stopped and their constructed arguments to support this need to be rebuked....when the trees are gone they will admit the error.....

https://academic.oup.com/bioscience/article/67/2/147/2900179/Doses-of-Neighborhood-Nature-The-Benefits-for

The economic costs of anxiety and mood disorders, such as depression, have been estimated at €187.4 billion per year for Europe alone (Gustavsson et al. 2012, Olesen et al. 2012). Alongside stress, they are some of the most prevalent work-related health issues (13.7% of all reported work-related cases; Eurostat 2012).

the science....

We demonstrate that of five neighborhood nature characteristics tested, vegetation cover and afternoon bird abundances were positively associated with a lower prevalence of depression, anxiety, and stress. Furthermore, dose–response modeling shows a threshold response at which the population prevalence of mental-health issues is significantly lower beyond minimum limits of neighborhood vegetation cover (depression more than 20% cover, anxiety more than 30% cover, stress more than 20% cover). Our findings demonstrate quantifiable associations of mental health with the characteristics of nearby nature that people actually experience.

because they are causing problems for alot of us, damaging pavements and roads, if not already, then soon they probably will. Keep it up amey !

because they are causing problems for alot of us, damaging pavements and roads, if not already, then soon they probably will. Keep it up amey !

You say 'if not already then soon they probably will'. Are you suggesting that Amey are cutting down trees that are not currently causing any problems, but might do in the future?

the science....

I have personal experience of anxiety, stress and poor mood, caused by the vastly overgrown and neglected street tree outside my house. I can't tell you how low it makes me, when every year, the summer comes around, the skies grow bright, and my home is plunged into darkness. You think it won't be that bad, but it builds year on year. I've got to the point where I dread the time when this a tree comes into leaf. I don't want to feel like this, but it really gets me down.

The anxiety has been caused by the cost of the repairs I've had to do to my property due to root damage (only partly reimbursed) and the years of trying to get the council to cut the tree back.

It's not always as black and white as people think.

I have personal experience of anxiety, stress and poor mood, caused by the vastly overgrown and neglected street tree outside my house. I can't tell you how low it makes me, when every year, the summer comes around, the skies grow bright, and my home is plunged into darkness. You think it won't be that bad, but it builds year on year. I've got to the point where I dread the time when this a tree comes into leaf. I don't want to feel like this, but it really gets me down.

The anxiety has been caused by the cost of the repairs I've had to do to my property due to root damage (only partly reimbursed) and the years of trying to get the council to cut the tree back.

It's not always as black and white as people think.

You say the tree is neglected. Do you not think that proper maintenance would be a more appropriate solution?

Only a handful of trees are having to be removed because of damage caused to property. As I have repeatedly said, this might be necessary in some cases, but the vast vast majority of trees are not being felled for this reason.

You say the tree is neglected. Do you not think that proper maintenance would be a more appropriate solution?

Only a handful of trees are having to be removed because of damage caused to property. As I have repeatedly said, this might be necessary in some cases, but the vast vast majority of trees are not being felled for this reason.

I agree, proper maintenance would have been ideal, but we're about 20 years too late for that. The tree's got so big and the pavement so raised that our drive is now inaccessible. But yes, at least some pruning would lift the gloom.

Actually, I can live with the damage and not being able to use the drive, but it's the gloom that really gets to me, it just sucks you downwards.

Edited by Olive

I agree, proper maintenance would have been ideal, but we're about 20 years too late for that. The tree's got so big and the pavement so raised that our drive is now inaccessible. But yes, at least some pruning would lift the gloom.

That isn't hyperbole? The tree roots have raised the pavement so much that you cannot now access your driveway?

That isn't hyperbole? The tree roots have raised the pavement so much that you cannot now access your driveway?

Not at all. The pavement's miles higher (now there's hyperbole) than the driveway, which is about the same level as the road. When you pull onto the drive, with the front wheels on the drive and the back wheels on the road, guess where the pavement is? You'd probably get away without any damage in a 4x4, but as it is, I've a Mini and a garage that I can't use any more. The council has had the pavement repaired pretty much every year, as the tree root breaks through, but all they do is pile tarmac on top, making it even higher.

Edited by Olive

You say 'if not already then soon they probably will'. Are you suggesting that Amey are cutting down trees that are not currently causing any problems, but might do in the future?
I sure am. I think maybe its a case of 'prevention is cheaper than the cure' for them on alot of the felled trees. Just my opinion, i dont know that for sure !

I sure am. I think maybe its a case of 'prevention is cheaper than the cure' for them on alot of the felled trees. Just my opinion, i dont know that for sure !

That might be the case - they are certainly felling trees because of 'pavement damage' that are not actually causing any pavement damage at all.

They would be breaking their agreement if they were doing so of course - although they seem to already be breaking it by not doing the engineering solutions which they claimed they would, so who knows.