Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

Story in Guardian here

---------- Post added 02-03-2017 at 19:04 ----------

Whoever made the decisions to use this obscure anti trade union law to arrest peaceful protestors needs sacking

I agree, and it's worse because the CPS had already decided it was a misapplication of the law the first time around, so trying it again is unforgivable and a waste of public money.

Quote:

"Councillor Bryan Lodge, the city’s cabinet member for the environment, said the majority of people in Sheffield wanted the work carried out. “We respectfully ask that should any protests be organised, that they are done so in a way that does not stop work and therefore cost the city money at a time where we are having to find budgets savings, including from services for vulnerable people,” he said."

Did they do a survey as to how many wanted this work done.. no, thought not. I respectfully ask that he resign as its him that's costing money as well and it would also be a good budget saving.

Crock of all rubbish anyway. It will not cost the council a single penny to keep the trees, all it will cost is Amey's profits. The contract covered Amey paying for engineering works, the council have already paid them the money so any additional costs are borne by Amey, not the public purse. Lodge is lying when he says there is an added cost to not chopping trees down.

I agree, and it's worse because the CPS had already decided it was a misapplication of the law the first time around, so trying it again is unforgivable and a waste of public money.

The CPS withdrew the action because it wasn't in the public interest - and it wasn't. The point of law was not tested in court. It certainly wasn't the sort of application envisaged when the act was passed, but that doesn't mean it isn't applicable.

The CPS withdrew the action because it wasn't in the public interest - and it wasn't. The point of law was not tested in court. It certainly wasn't the sort of application envisaged when the act was passed, but that doesn't mean it isn't applicable.

The Guardian article states it was on the grounds of insufficient evidence, not public interest. Maybe they're wrong about that but if someone is charged with the wrong offence then it would be predictable that there was insufficient evidence of their guilt of that offence.

Get the council to agree to plant a tree or two (saplings) for each one that has to be pulled up. Also up to a certain size I believe some trees can be lifted and replanted with specialized equipment ? But not mature oak trees etc.

This would be missing the point. Amey ARE replacing the trees they remove. However saplings that will take 20 years to mature are of minimal ongoing cost to Amey, hence they wish to cut down as many mature trees as possible. This will totally change the street scene in Sheffield.

Guest makapaka
This would be missing the point. Amey ARE replacing the trees they remove. However saplings that will take 20 years to mature are of minimal ongoing cost to Amey, hence they wish to cut down as many mature trees as possible. This will totally change the street scene in Sheffield.

For 20 years and then we will have mature trees and no issues on the streets /roads?

Maybe if Amey had to factor in the ongoing cost of maintaining the mature trees at tender the project would not have been viable and wouldn't have gone ahead?

I have noticed that roadworks are ongoing in Wadsley.

I wonder if trees will be removed there.