Rustling Road trees are being felled right now

The majority of people on our road voted in favour of tree felling, but STAG came and stopped the work yesterday, why should WE THE LOCAL RESIDENTS be dictated to by STAG, these trees are nightmare, we are sweeping up leaves from September to March, they make the pavement dangerous to walk on and they clog the drains which leads to flooding, and God only knows what damage the roots are doing to foundations.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 15:26 ----------

So where does that leave you now?

This is exactly the situation that I'm so worried about. The majority on our street also voted in favour of felling but it didn't stop anti felling campaigners leafleting us for support, even though they must have been able to see the damage that the trees have caused. A little thought and consideration for fellow citizens wouldn't be a bad idea.

From where are you getting the figures? I was not aware of any local referenda on this issue. Though I would suggest that that would give a proper answer.

Recently, streets on which trees are due to be felled have been given questionnaires to answer regarding the planned work. If 50% or more of replies are against the proposed work, the plans are sent to the Independent Tree Panel who look into the need to fell the trees.

When the ITP recommend that trees do not need to be felled and that the engineering solutions (that are within the contract, and so would not cost the council any money) could mean the trees could be retained then their advice is almost always ignored by the council and the trees are felled anyway, but at least the 'consultation' box is ticked.

Guest makapaka
Recently, streets on which trees are due to be felled have been given questionnaires to answer regarding the planned work. If 50% or more of replies are against the proposed work, the plans are sent to the Independent Tree Panel who look into the need to fell the trees.

When the ITP recommend that trees do not need to be felled and that the engineering solutions (that are within the contract, and so would not cost the council any money) could mean the trees could be retained then their advice is almost always ignored by the council and the trees are felled anyway, but at least the 'consultation' box is ticked.

Robin - it's not a conspiracy. The streets are better and we've still got plenty of trees!

Plus less bumps in the pavement!

Plus they're planting new trees!

Chill out!

Robin - it's not a conspiracy. The streets are better and we've still got plenty of trees!

Plus less bumps in the pavement!

Plus they're planting new trees!

Chill out!

Where have I not been chill?

What reason do you have for why the recommendations of the ITP are being ignored?

What is the purpose of the ITP, which is costing the tax payer money, if the council are failing to take on board any of the advice that it provides?

The ITP only exists because of initial protest that nobody was consulted about the plans for Sheffield's roadside trees, it was not something that the council were at all interested in doing until they started getting widespread bad press.

The trees are not "better" makapaka. Being cut down for no good reason is not an improvement, surely even you can see that.

Some people are NIMBY over trees: they're good from a distance, but if they're near your house they fill your garden with leaves.

If they're actually IN your garden, then it's even worse: they become your responsibility.

I've often thought that something could be done to redress that particular problem.

Guest makapaka
The trees are not "better" makapaka. Being cut down for no good reason is not an improvement, surely even you can see that.

"Surely even you can see" - how patronising.

I said the streets are better not the trees.

Well said Robin, plus were not sweeping up leaves for months on end or risking breaking our necks slipping on wet leaves. If I had the know how to do it safely they'd be down by now trust me, and I'd have the full backing of the people who live here.

The majority of people on our road voted in favour of tree felling, but STAG came and stopped the work yesterday, why should WE THE LOCAL RESIDENTS be dictated to by STAG, these trees are nightmare, we are sweeping up leaves from September to March, they make the pavement dangerous to walk on and they clog the drains which leads to flooding, and God only knows what damage the roots are doing to foundations.

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 15:26 ----------

I'm not in the least bit surprised by this but this is what happens when a vocal minority, aided and abetted by local and national media with their own agendas, get carried away.