Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

So after the last four pages of this thread, it seems that the argument by the minority for being against merging in turn is because the people who should be letting people merge are not providing enough room to do so. Which has brought us full circle.

When the required gap is left you will find that several drivers push into it rather than the one driver you left the gap for, this causes the same wave of braking cars which brings that lane to an alt with all the gaps disappearing.

I've been in the situation approaching glossop on the M57 where I've sat almost unmoving in the left hand lane because everyone goes passed and pulls in. Its a pain. I've taken to always going right at the roundabout, stopping for a wee in maccy d's (thats all i ever use em for) and then going right round the roundabout through glossop. If there's enough traffic its actually quicker than sitting and waiting in the left lane. I don't consider it pushing in as i've legitmately turned right off the roundabout !

When the required gap is left you will find that several drivers push into it rather than the one driver you left the gap for, this causes the same wave of braking cars which brings that lane to an alt with all the gaps disappearing.

So you've made up another hypothetical 'might happen' scenario to justify why you don't let people merge into your lane.

I'd rather everyone aspired to drive properly than deliberately drive badly because everyone else apparently does, which is what you seem to be telling us you do.

So you've made up another hypothetical 'might happen' scenario to justify why you don't let people merge into your lane.

I'd rather everyone aspired to drive properly than deliberately drive badly because everyone else apparently does, which is what you seem to be telling us you do.

Its not an hypothetical might happen, its does happen, I leave the safe gap and I accept that several inconsiderate drivers are likely to pull in front of me, I don't attempt to stop them because I value my car and my life more than a few second of my time. But I do understand why some drivers don't leave the safe gap that everyone should leave, it would be a nice world if every driver was a considerate and safe driver but the realty is they aren't, this is why you won't see 100's of cars zip merging in perfect sync.

As a motorcyclist I often encounter other motorists who appear enraged at the fact that I have passed them, or want to pass them. They, as you say, speed up, close gaps between the car in front or tailgate after the manoeuvre. Why? I have only taken a few feet of their road space and more often than not I have moved on within a short distance/time.

There are also those who blatantly block a motorcyclist’s way when legitimately filtering between lanes on congested roads. Jealousy?

As a motorcyclist myself I know exactly what you mean,i have now purchased a helmet cam...although not yet tried...if they start tailgating I usually touch the brake lever to operate the brake light,fortunately I also come across lots of motorists who pull over slightly to allow me to pass.i always wave a thankyou to them....if a car wishes to pass thinking they are a racing driver I just wave them on....and usually pass them at the next line of vehicles or in heavy traffic....ride safe...:)

How exactly did you "block" a car behind you on a regular two lane road? Just by existing?
It's really easy. You can move into the other lane as they do and physically block them, or simply discourage them by speeding up and perhaps pulling out a bit. I found that a lot of people did that to me when I had a standard family type and somewhat underpowered car, presumably because they couldn't bear the shame of being passed by such a vehicle. Now I'm in a faster car they don't even try.

Quite a few older motorists, the Sunday morning type, tend to do this. They drive at 25mph everywhere until you try to overtake and then they rev the nuts off theirs to force you to pull in behind them and then they slow down to 25mph again! Mental!

So why would you do that? Apart from driving at a reasonable speed, everything you suggest is extremely dangerous. Particularly the "move into the other lane", since you said you were heading towards a blind corner.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 09:40 ----------

I blocked someone from overtaking me on a blind bend near Castleton last week. Just as well because he'd not seen the car that was coming.

So how did you actually block this one? It wasn't by crashing head on into the oncoming car was it?

So why would you do that? Apart from driving at a reasonable speed, everything you suggest is extremely dangerous. Particularly the "move into the other lane", since you said you were heading towards a blind corner.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 09:40 ----------

So how did you actually block this one? It wasn't by crashing head on into the oncoming car was it?

Don't be silly. As I said, by speeding up and pulling out a bit towards the centre of the road, just enough to discourage the overtake. It greatly depends on the surroundings. The timing is critical and has to work before the driver commits to the manoeuvre. It's unlikely to work if the other car has twice your power and the driver his Hell-bent.

It was that specific example I was curious about.

So you sped up (to the speed limit? Above it?) and adopted a primary road position or started skimming the white line?

Perhaps they were never intending to overtake into the blind bend and you misread them?