Do you try to block people overtaking or passing you?

Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you/do you/would you try preventing people passing or overtaking?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

You are right of course. I should have put 'usually', not 'always'. Think I was still upset by the incident the other day - it was very unsettling. Also, a family member was recently run off the same road by someone fitting that description. Fortunately she did not have her child with her and was OK but the car was written off and the driver got away scot free.

I had a fun one there 2 or 3 weeks ago, when I drove down the empty lane and 'forced the zipper' at the end.

The lady driver in the metallic grey Picasso (who deliberately floored it as I was getting level with her, to try and tailgate the car in front of her to stop me from getting in - but bottled out in the end) was not best pleased :D

As for accelerating whilst being undertaken, I'm afraid that's my one and only red-rag-to-a-bull (on single carriage lanes only, doesn't bother me on multi-lanes/motorways). The last idiot who accelerated whilst I was overtaking them (-safely and with signals) on a single carriage way, ended up with a very close shave of the ditch, and no doubt a fair bit of jetwash workout to do.

Anyone who's ever done that to me, I don't slow down (unless I have to for safety's sake) and I don't try to out-accelerate them, I just match-speed and pull over slowly and steadily into them. They either slow down, or they get pushed over. Never had to push anyone over, yet. And it's been pretty rare occurrences, thankfully. Strangely, always by Ronnie Pickering/OAP types.

They try and do that to Landrovers. Simply some people don't like being overtaken by something they see as "slow" despite doing 40mph in open country themselves.

Usually ends up as you describe - but they see a three tonne vehicle covered in dents and scratches and conclude I don't care about my paintwork - or them.

Sgtkate - we are all judgemental and indeed have to be to get through life relatively safely. If you are not judgmental then you are truly unique. I speak as I find and in over 40 years of driving I have rarely been tailgated by a woman, especially ones who have children in the car and cannot recall a single incident of being tailgated by a pensioner! Of course there are good young male drivers but in my experience the ones who are in a rush generally fit that description. I am happy for them to pass and get on their way. It does no good to incite by trying to block them.

I am in the age group you mentioned and I will admit that sometimes I will get a little too close to the car in front but only in certain circumstances.

Single 60mph carriageway in perfect weather with great visibility and car in front going 37mph for no reason. I sometimes get close to they realise that there are other people on the road hoping to make progress. Funnily enough these drivers then continue at 37mph when the road changes to 30mph. :loopy:

As a motorcyclist I often encounter other motorists who appear enraged at the fact that I have passed them, or want to pass them. They, as you say, speed up, close gaps between the car in front or tailgate after the manoeuvre. Why? I have only taken a few feet of their road space and more often than not I have moved on within a short distance/time.

There are also those who blatantly block a motorcyclist’s way when legitimately filtering between lanes on congested roads. Jealousy?

As for queuing where two lanes merge into one, e.g. at roadworks or say the bottom of Prince Of Wales Road, both lanes should be occupied and traffic allowed to merge one at a time, like a zip, at the end. If everyone did this nobody gets any advantage over others and it helps prevent congestion further back up the road, like at the Parkway/Prince roundabout.

Where say the left lane is queuing to go left and the empty right lane is for straight on, that’s a different matter. However who amongst us has not accidentally chosen the wrong lane? Especially in unfamiliar territory and found they need to get into the queue in the other lane. Personally I indicate and slow, or stop, as soon as I realise my mistake and hope that some kind soul takes pity and lets me in. Rather than motoring on to the front, which then looks like you are taking the….. Extracting the urine.

Just my twopence worth

I've experienced the same as a cyclist when filtering, some people are just mardy and selfish. If someone can get there faster than me in a safe and legal way, they're more than welcome to.

I always make room for bikers when driving, it's just nice to do, and I have to admit I like getting a thank you wave too :D

I always leave enough space for overtaking motorists to pull in front of me. Life's too short to get angst driving too close to the vehicle in front.

Plus, it annoys more people behind me who are upset about someone using the open road legally than it does stopping the one driver getting in front.

Interesting observations tonight. There's a lane closed on Hannover way, it's signed for 200 metres in advance.

I was already in the left, and the queue was about 100 metres, very few cars in the right hand lane, but I just stayed where I was, it would seem rude to pull out deliberately to pass.

So drivers were approaching, some already in the 2nd lane. Most would start slowing and looking for a gap at about 100 metres, which seemed quite reasonable. A few would be stopped by someone else pulling in, waiting for a gap. But rather than just filter in behind, they'd then accelerate up the empty lane to the front. Technically doing nothing wrong, but I must admit, that it felt like they were queue jumping and doing so deliberately.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 21:38 ----------

which car? i am still trying to work it out :huh:

Zoom in twice on the red van, then look slightly left of it and 1 car in front.

Interesting observations tonight. There's a lane closed on Hannover way, it's signed for 200 metres in advance.

I was already in the left, and the queue was about 100 metres, very few cars in the right hand lane, but I just stayed where I was, it would seem rude to pull out deliberately to pass.

So drivers were approaching, some already in the 2nd lane. Most would start slowing and looking for a gap at about 100 metres, which seemed quite reasonable. A few would be stopped by someone else pulling in, waiting for a gap. But rather than just filter in behind, they'd then accelerate up the empty lane to the front. Technically doing nothing wrong, but I must admit, that it felt like they were queue jumping and doing so deliberately.

---------- Post added 17-11-2016 at 21:38 ----------

Zoom in twice on the red van, then look slightly left of it and 1 car in front.

well,i know i am not the sharpest tool in the box, but i still cant see it, we're not talking about the estate type looking car are we? i'll be damned if i can see which one pushed in

A classic one is when traveling up the hill after leaving the Parkway going onto the Mosboro Parkway. A line of cars all in 2nd gear (4pm Friday) but the odd one racing past at 50mph up to the merge where they force themselves into the queue, but near the top a small red car was straddling the lanes preventing them from passing.