Devonshire Cat re-opening

jemson

Saturday in the Dev Cat was awful. I said on another thread that they are probably loving it right now. But come January when all the cocktail crowd are off, best hope the beer drinkers come back.

We've crossed it off our list, so I'm afraid I'm not likely to be back... Might try again in 6 months just to see whether the situation has changed.

Went in last night, not sold on the new look. Having the taps on 3 sides of the bar is a pain, have to walk around the bar to see whats on. There is a blackboard at the top of the stairs, but last night it wasnt up to date. Stools at the bar is a big no for me, encourages people to stay there after being served and get in the way of those still waiting. And the pub itself is just really loud. Couldnt have a conversation without shouting. Well be back, but still unsure as to whether I like it or not.

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 10:07 ----------

Still no Guinness.

There were 3 stouts and 2 porters on yesterday, and all 5 of them were better than guinness

Went in last night, not sold on the new look. Having the taps on 3 sides of the bar is a pain, have to walk around the bar to see whats on. There is a blackboard at the top of the stairs, but last night it wasnt up to date. Stools at the bar is a big no for me, encourages people to stay there after being served and get in the way of those still waiting. And the pub itself is just really loud. Couldnt have a conversation without shouting. Well be back, but still unsure as to whether I like it or not.

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 10:07 ----------

There were 3 stouts and 2 porters on yesterday, and all 5 of them were better than guinness

Tried one of the stouts prior to refit and it was alright but after 2 pints i went off it. Can't see why they don't sell Guinness?

Tried one of the stouts prior to refit and it was alright but after 2 pints i went off it. Can't see why they don't sell Guinness?

Maybe because they don't want to sell keg stout (i.e. not real ale) these days. I think that's a mistake as draught Guinness was the saving grace in many a pub in the 1980s when the only other beer was fizzy keg bitters or lagers. I still have one sometimes and I like how it's always been there exactly the same as long as I've been going in pubs.

Guinness should reintroduce their bottle-conditioned version which was discontinued about 20 years ago(?). That was a lovely drink, you could use the yeast for your home brews. They could market is as 'craft' in 330ml bottles.

Maybe because they don't want to sell keg stout (i.e. not real ale) these days. I think that's a mistake as draught Guinness was the saving grace in many a pub in the 1980s when the only other beer was fizzy keg bitters or lagers. I still have one sometimes and I like how it's always been there exactly the same as long as I've been going in pubs.

Guinness should reintroduce their bottle-conditioned version which was discontinued about 20 years ago(?). That was a lovely drink, you could use the yeast for your home brews. They could market is as 'craft' in 330ml bottles.

Plenty of keg stouts about, I was drinking keg Yorkshire Blackout in there last night (ok, techincally a porter), then later had steel citys 'cake' (10.5% imperial stout) on keg in Brewdog. Its probably more that guinness isnt actually that good, and there are far better stouts available that theyd rather sell.

What did you reckon to the Cake? Just drinking it cask in the shakey now, prefer it on cask personally. Probably the second maddest beer I've brewed...

Loved it. Even my lager and twig beer drinking mates loved it. Could happily have drunk pints of it, the abv was so well hidden.