Devonshire Cat re-opening

jemson

I know a few people really like the refurb, but I was disapointed. It just reminds me of the Head of Steam on Norfolk Street now. And to think that prior to the refurb it had been heading back to being one of Sheffield's top pubs.

It was in terms of beer range but the pub itself was like an old Wetherspoons, was very 1990s and didn't quite have the atmosphere.

Now it has good beer, other good boozes, a more modern style and with the more intimate corners instead of being open plan it has more atmosphere.

Of course the island bar does create that problem with not seeing all the pumps together made worse by the beer board not being kept up to date - probably because its above the stairs - but hopefully when things calm down in the new year that will be something the management might consider improving.

I've certainly been in more since the refurb.

Tried one of the stouts prior to refit and it was alright but after 2 pints i went off it. Can't see why they don't sell Guinness?

Because Guinness is pitiful? You can't really have a stout at 4% almost by definition. (You know it's actually short for 'stout porter' don't you - the 'stout' bit meaning a stringer version?). The fact that it sells at all is a fine example of how throwing millions at marketing will win over the weak minded.

A great example of this is the new Carlsberg Export rebrand. They have been losing out to craft brewers so, what do they decide to do? Brew a better beer? No. Just simply rebrand with a new logo which feels a bit different and, get this, even uses the Danish letter Ø - as in ToØl. So it now reads Carlsberg Expørt. Which doesn't make any sense at all...

If you want to try a proper stout, try Acorn Gorlovka. Or better still, a proper Russian Imperial. I promise you will never go back to Guinness.