Do we report things enough?

Footage appearing to show a tram driver nodding off at the controls on the same line where a crash killed seven people is being "urgently investigated".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-38036567

I often report issues that I see in my everyday life, from traffic issues the dumped safas.

If the above video is true and was not reported, it is very worrying, that people will post things online, but not to the authorities. When was the last time you reported something, that had no personal effect on you?

Footage appearing to show a tram driver nodding off at the controls on the same line where a crash killed seven people is being "urgently investigated".

I often report issues that I see in my everyday life, from traffic issues the dumped safas.

If the above video is true and was not reported, it is very worrying, that people will post things online, but not to the authorities. When was the last time you reported something, that had no personal effect on you?

My guess is in the near future these trams will be fitter with a 'dead man switch'

Sadly it is not uncommon for improve safety measures to be adopted after a tragedy.

No as got better things to do. Authorities can do there own work, that's what I pay them for.

No as got better things to do. Authorities can do there own work, that's what I pay them for.

I takes less than 5 minutes to write an email, we all need to work together. The authorities no not have a person walking your neighbourhood looking for issues.

Every council worker should report things, even then it would not be enough.

Deliberately playing devils advocate here is there not a flip side to constantly reporting and tittle tattling.

For example the article posted and video. All over that page do I see the words "..appears to be" "..is apparently" "...footage is unverified"

This particuar tram driver could be doing absolutely nothing wrong and the poster of the video could either be completely misreading the position or making false statements.

Whatever the outcome of the investigation, for that tram driver it will have an impact.

This is seen in other situations. Two people having a fight, from one angle it seems that a man attempts to strike a woman, but from the other angle it may ACTUALLY be that he is defending himself or even trying to calm said woman down. Wouldn't stop someone from the wrong angle making a false report against him.

Those shouts from next door could be perfectly innocent but someone earwigging and mishearing could turn them into something else and innocent people are suddenly embroiled in some police investigation.

Of course, we have the most famous of the lot. The rapists and child abusers. SOME were absolute monsters and deserved what they got. Other completely innocent people had their lives and reputations totally and unjustly ruined by rumours, gossip, and assumptions made by people totally unaware of the facts or those wholly seeking to cause damage.

Reporting is one thing, Reporting anything and everything with an encouragement to do it even more surely has to be with some caution.

That reporting will always have consequences for those on the receiving end. Even if they are totally innocent. When serious accusations are made against a person or organisations it makes headlines and can fill media outlets for days. When that person or organisation are found innocent it rarely makes it before the middle pages and nobody mentions it after 12 hours.

Sometimes people never can recover from that sitatuation.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I takes less than 5 minutes to write an email, we all need to work together. The authorities no not have a person walking your neighbourhood looking for issues.

Every council worker should report things, even then it would not be enough.

I don't walk around my neighborhood looking for issues either. Too busy trying to earn a living pal.

---------- Post added 19-11-2016 at 17:03 ----------

Deliberately playing devils advocate here is there not a flip side to constantly reporting and tittle tattling.

For example the article posted and video. All over that page do I see the words "..appears to be" "..is apparently" "...footage is unverified"

This particuar tram driver could be doing absolutely nothing wrong and the poster of the video could either be completely misreading the position or making false statements.

Whatever the outcome of the investigation, for that tram driver it will have an impact.

This is seen in other situations. Two people having a fight, from one angle it seems that a man attempts to strike a woman, but from the other angle it may ACTUALLY be that he is defending himself or even trying to calm said woman down. Wouldn't stop someone from the wrong angle making a false report against him.

Those shouts from next door could be perfectly innocent but someone earwigging and mishearing could turn them into something else and innocent people are suddenly embroiled in some police investigation.

Of course, we have the most famous of the lot. The rapists and child abusers. SOME were absolute monsters and deserved what they got. Other completely innocent people had their lives and reputations totally and unjustly ruined by rumours, gossip, and assumptions made by people totally unaware of the facts or those wholly seeking to cause damage.

Reporting is one thing, Reporting anything and everything with an encouragement to do it even more surely has to be with some caution.

That reporting will always have consequences for those on the receiving end. Even if they are totally innocent. When serious accusations are made against a person or organisations it makes headlines and can fill media outlets for days. When that person or organisation are found innocent it rarely makes it before the middle pages and nobody mentions it after 12 hours.

Sometimes people never can recover from that sitatuation.

People are too nosy, agreed. If you see an obvious crime and victim, help someone. Thinking mugging or similar. Otherwise keep nose out and clean.

society is about helping each other out. everyone pulling their weight.

if i see someone casing your house should i walk on by? as you pay some one else to look after that stuff?

if i spot a kid messing with your car do i ignore it?

if you fall over, do i call for an ambulance.

you do sound like an angry unhappy person.

Some people do seem to walk around, without noticing what other things are going on, many just get into their car, that is in the drive, and they are in a different world.

My guess is in the near future these trams will be fitter with a 'dead man switch'

Sadly it is not uncommon for improve safety measures to be adopted after a tragedy.

It might not help though, I read a news story recently about a driver who had fallen into a diabetic sort of coma whilst at the wheel on the motorway. Her foot was stuck steady on the accelerator but she had no awareness of her surroundings whatsoever. A police officer managed to gently push her vehicle into the hard shoulder barrier using his car, with minimal damage to both vehicles, and saved her and her baby's lives.

---------- Post added 20-11-2016 at 09:27 ----------

I would not post something online. I have reported fly tipping, an abusive lorry driver (to his company), and a bus driver for what I feel was driving dangerously with regard to another road user. The bus company told me they have CCTV on all vehicles so they will assess the footage. I have no idea of the outcome of either situation, nor was I really interested, I just wanted to make their employers aware.

I work for a company which has a lot of liveried vans all over the country and we occasionally get complaints that vans are blocking access, etc, but some complaints do seem trivial, like a van blocking light, or bumping their wheelie bin accidentally (no damage, it wasn't even knocked over). So I can see it from both perspectives.

Edited by Isabelle