Weird question asked today

Visited the deep in hull today, and as I got to the counter with my partner and daughter, the staff asked us if we were tax payers?

What has this got to do with them? Everyone in my oponion is a tax payer, whether is tax on booze, cigs, road tax, tax on chocolate, council tax ect.

We said yes of course, but why ask such a question to customers?

Im guessing it could be to do with this...

Choosing to Gift Aid your admission will not cost you a penny more but would enable The Deep, registered charity number 1073254, to benefit from an additional 25p from the UK Government for every £1 of your admission. The Deep would be very grateful if you are willing to Gift Aid your admission as it would help support our charitable work.

These tickets will allow you to visit The Deep again and again for free over a 12 month period (conditions and exclusions apply).

To be able to Gift Aid your admission, you need to be a UK tax payer that will pay Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax in the current tax year of at least the amount of Gift aid that will be claimed on all of your donations in this tax year.

From... https://www.maximweb.net/TheDeep_UI/eventslist/

Visited the deep in hull today, and as I got to the counter with my partner and daughter, the staff asked us if we were tax payers?

What has this got to do with them? Everyone in my oponion is a tax payer, whether is tax on booze, cigs, road tax, tax on chocolate, council tax ect.

We said yes of course, but why ask such a question to customers?

If you are a tax payer they can Gift Aid your admission fee which helps to support their charitable conservation and education work, but I think they are supposed to make it clear that they want to reclaim the tax you paid.

By tax payer that mean payee tax, not vat or fuel duty.

You should have been asked if you would like to Gift Aid your "Admission." The Gift Aid(tax reclaim) cannot be claimed unless you agree and give your address. So, if this was not merely a research question your name and address would have to be given. This enables the inland revenue to trace the amount due to the charity to your tax account.

Now for the interesting bit.

Should you not become liable for tax in the year you make the "donation" you will become liable for paying the amount the tax office will have paid to the Charity. This can happen if you become unemployed and do not need to pay tax, or if as a self employed person your profit does not reach the taxation threshold. It happened to me one year when I had donated to an emergency relief fund and subsequently had less rental income and laid out a lot on maintenance taking me below the taxation threshold.

Not that I minded, but it is worth knowing.

Edited by Margarita Ma
Added text.

She literally just said do you want the annual tickets, they are the same price and you can come back as much as you want within a year. Took our address, I didn't think much of it.

I think it's bad they never mentioned the tax reclaim to me.

Yes it is bad that the staff did not explain why they needed to know if you paid tax. My auto-reply system(natural response) would have been why do you want to know. I do normally pay tax but as you can see from above, circumstances are changeable and this could result in a liability that is unexpected if you are not a paye. taxpayer. Check your tickets to see if anything is stated on them re Gift Aid. If not I would query this with The Deep. Their website has a contact form, just had a look.