Personal Car WIFI Hotspots?

Am I missing something here?

I just saw a Vauxhall car advert and the selling feature they mentioned was a wifi hotspot for up to 7 devices.

WHY WHY WHY?

We all have the internet on our smart phones and if you need it for your laptop you just turn on hotspot in settings.

Why do I need a car to have its own internet? I assume there is a monthly cost for it.

I think it's so you can safely play games and stuff on your laptop whilst driving. From personal experience, it's a bit hairy to drive along with one arm waving around outside the window, aiming a hand-held interweave aeriel. Top marks for Vauxhall! :thumbsup:

I just saw a Vauxhall car advert and the selling feature they mentioned was a wifi hotspot for up to 7 devices.

WHY WHY WHY?

We all have the internet on our smart phones and if you need it for your laptop you just turn on hotspot in settings.

Why do I need a car to have its own internet? I assume there is a monthly cost for it.

Yes. They call it "OnStar" & uses the Vodafone network on a PAYG style payment system.

Vodafone’s “Daily plan”1: Best for a single journey. 24 hours or 1 GB3 of high speed surfing and streaming for £5.

Vodafone’s “Monthly plan (28 days)”1: Ideal for frequent use. 28 days or 1GB3 of data for £10 or10 GB of data3 for £20.

Those plans are terrible, no doubt the service will fall on it's arse soon.

OnStar has been around for years. The wifi thing is just the latest "feature"

Personally I don't understand it.

1. I have a massive data allowance on my phone and I can tether at no extra cost via my hotspot.

2. If you REALLY MUST have WiFi in your car then there are deals 10x better than OnStar by using a MiFi device directly from a service provider.

Maybe it all ties into the car - satnav, traffic updates, car firmware updates, syncing with phones and so on.

It does, my Insignia has a 9in screen in the console, Intellilink 900, receives text messages, reads them out to me, updates traffic news on the SatNav and even sends me an email of its GPS position once parked and bluetooth is disconnected.

I dread to think what happens when it all starts going wrong ... it'll be long gone by then I hope.