Rodent catchers / killers

Who do you use for mice or rat catching / killing?

We have a large garden adjacent to farm land so always get inundated with rats after the harvest. For years we have put down our own traps and poison but legislation changed at the end of October. Unless you have a certain qualification you can only buy certain poison in small volumes. Who do you use and how much does it cost you?

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question, I just want to say to please do not use poison to kill rats because the next animal that then comes along and eats the rat also dies an awful slow death, and it obviously effects the population of other British wildlife such as Owls, Badgers, Foxes etc that eat the poisoned rat.

I completely understand you not wanting the rats in your back garden, who would, and hopefully you can resolve this issue.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your question, I just want to say to please do not use poison to kill rats because the next animal that then comes along and eats the rat also dies an awful slow death, and it obviously effects the population of other British wildlife such as Owls, Badgers, Foxes etc that eat the poisoned rat.

I completely understand you not wanting the rats in your back garden, who would, and hopefully you can resolve this issue.

I agree with this. Buy a decent gun and exterminate x

A lot of you have got it wrong, there are lots if poisons safe to other animals. We have poultry and dogs so have to be very careful. Some poisons dehydrate rats so pose no risk to anything that eats them.

Rats are quite careful. If you move anything or they see or hear anything different ie gunshot they won't come out for ages.

We haven't go the usual 'back garden'.All the houses have about an acre of land that borders agricultural farm land. Its the farm crops that sustain the rats, hence not easy to eradicate them as you would be able to do if you lived on a housing estate.

We have proper rat traps. We put them in the places they generally go but they don't like any changes so avoid them. We rarely catch anything in the traps.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 12:53 ----------

I was wanting to know how much professional rat killers charge. I phoned a few up but they don't seem to be aware of the regs, disclose their insurance policies, qualifications, address or landline number. The one that did wanted to charge a very expensive price for two of three visits. She increased the charge by £25 because it was near agricultural land and she said we are a farm. Words failed me when she said that. I had already told her it was a semi-rural but domestic property.

Its more expensive per station to do a normal house with one or two stations than a rural property with eleven stations. Some of the 'cost' is transport and time but she didn't see the logic. You should get a discount per station at the same location as it saves time travelling from property to property.

One of them went to a call centre and she didn't seem to have a clue, no idea what a rat bait station was.

At this rate it may be worth hubby taking the exam and getting the certificate so we can buy our decent strength own poison. He has had a look at the type of information you have to learn to pass the test. The fee for the exam and certificate is £50.

House insurance sometimes cover this. We always make sure it is on our policy. Have you checked yours?

No insurance company is going to pay continuously. As I said, they are outside and it needs to be constantly addressed due to our location.

We moved here almost seventeen years ago. Its much better now but you will never eradicate them totally in this type of location.