Central library closure

Does Sheffield need yet another hotel? [A: No.]

Does it need a Central Library? [A: Yes.]

Yes the city desperately needs better quality hotels . im always suprised to hear of the difficulty our company as booking in our American visitors into hotels of the standard they expect .

Use the money from the sale to build an iconic modern building on the vast building site that will soon be in the area where the Grovenor once stood.

Yes the city desperately needs better quality hotels . im always suprised to hear of the difficulty our company as booking in our American visitors into hotels of the standard they expect .

Use the money from the sale to build an iconic modern building on the vast building site that will soon be in the area where the Grovenor once stood.

Couldn't agree more.

We really have the same problems with some of our clients. Even the best quality hotel in the city is nothing more than a mid-range chain facilities. Its nowhere near good enough.

God help people when there is any kind of big event on. Rooms sold out all over. Last time one of my client's had to taxi in from the Tankersley Manor every day - that was the nearest place I could find above a Etap/Ibis.

The current town hall would make a much more impressive hotel and they could sell it for much more than a 1930s library.

Maybe They could sell all those antique tables and pictures etc they have there and all the officials could squeeze into an empty office block somewhere, would be much cheaper &buy sonmething from the new ikea at the ever expanding meadowhell to furnish it.. :)

Why would anyone want a fusty old town hall anyway....past its date I'm sure.

or maybe all this sell out to anyone is just driving me mad:suspect:

I have absolutely zero faith of this council finding anywhere suitable for a new library . also I thought Mr graves gifted this building to the people of Sheffield , not to the council to sell to the highest bidder

My only knowledge is listening to the radio today. (btw)

So far, mixed thoughts. As a library it's very dated, and probably couldn't be updated without spending millions.

If part of the deal is built a new one nearby, and the interior isn't ragged apart, I'd be generally in favour of this.

(however, your first sentence would cause me worry!)

Can't believe most the comments on here... it's an historical public building,to sell it to some questionable Chinese company is taking the biscuit.

The building is a magnificent building.. disgraceful that Sheffield Council are contemplating selling off more of the city's treasures ..

Can't believe most the comments on here... it's an historical public building,to sell it to some questionable Chinese company is taking the biscuit.

The building is a magnificent building.. disgraceful that Sheffield Council are contemplating selling off more of the city's treasures ..

TBH Tinsley, I'm surprised they haven't demolished it already :hihi: They probably would have already if could get permission.

I think it's unlikely it will ever get money spent on it in council hands. If they announced spending £millions to bring it up to date, there would be outrage from the 'build more social housing' brigade for example.

If it can be done up; kept as original as possible; still here for hundred years plus; alternative modern facilities close-by; then it gets closer to being a no-brainer. It's not like the spending millions on BuckPalace where you can use tourism as a good reason. This place probably sees so few people that it's probably running at a huge loss with no chance of ever making anything.

Look at the other thread going again about the old courthouse. This could end up in the same state eventually. That would be a worse end.

Its not fit for purpose.

Less and less people using the service as it is, less quality of service provision going forward will make that position even worse, eventually something has got to give. An article in the Star recently showed Central Library had a drop of 6.5% lending this year on top of a 15% drop last year. Keep going at that rate and tell me that a business in the real world would not be facing closure altogether. As usual, becuase its public purse, everyone screams that its a vital service and more than that, it must be kept in their exisitng building despite the fact its totally outdated in terms of facilities, access and standards

Who is going to keep up the maintenence?, who is going to pay for all the improvements? who is going to put their hand in the pocket to get the building up to the required DDA compliance?

Its back to the same old argument. "it looks nice" is just not enough. Anyone can scream and shout about preserving some treasure until they are told to pay the bill. Suddenly people lose interest when that subject turns up.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 22:03 ----------

TBH Tinsley, I'm surprised they haven't demolished it already :hihi: They probably would have already if could get permission.

I think it's unlikely it will ever get money spent on it in council hands. If they announced spending £millions to bring it up to date, there would be outrage from the 'build more social housing' brigade for example.

If it can be done up; kept as original as possible; still here for hundred years plus; alternative modern facilities close-by; then it gets closer to being a no-brainer. It's not like the spending millions on BuckPalace where you can use tourism as a good reason. This place probably sees so few people that it's probably running at a huge loss with no chance of ever making anything.

Look at the other thread going again about the old courthouse. This could end up in the same state eventually. That would be a worse end.

Well said.

People just dont get it. These things cost money and looking pretty doesn't pay bills.

Edited by ECCOnoob