Central library closure

15% drop in users in 2015

6.5% drop in users in 2016.

21% less useage in just 2 years.

You might use it on a weekly basis but why would the new library building stop that?

I ask again, why does it have to be in THAT building.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 22:28 ----------

Because a private investor will be responsible for putting up the money for the vast expense required to bring the building up to modern standards.

I would rather have that than dwindling local council monies being used for little or no purpose.

listen. it's not for you or your tory ideas to decide what happens to The People of Sheffield assets, such as a historical building and a public service such as the central lending library... it needs to be expanded on for our future generations... not sold for profit to some dubious foreign state owned companies

listen. it's not for you or your tory ideas to decide what happens to The People of Sheffield assets, such as a historical building and a public service such as the central lending library... it needs to be expanded on for our future generations... not sold for profit to some dubious foreign state owned companies

Sheffield is a Labour Council, what, prey tell, has this got to do with the Tory's?

What the hell has my politics got to do with anything.

I am stating facts. The building has dwindling usage year on year. The buildings facilities are outdated, not compliant for disabled persons, not what is expected from a modern library service all housed in a ageing shell with ever increasing maintenence and running costs.

THOSE ARE FACTS.

WHY should taxpayer monies be used to keep the thing propped up and modernised IF it would be cheaper to sell it to a private developer and build a new, cheaper, purpose made modern library facility which will be lower costs to run long term. SCC money is not infinite and there are more vital services which need it.

You still have not answered my question. This is not about losing a library. Its about losing THAT particuar building. Why can't the library and gallery be elsewhere.

Better to have the building preserved by a private developer than losing it altogether would make sense wouldn't it?

This constant negative attitude against private developers just boggles the mind. The Old Boys Grammar School and fomer education offices could have easily sat there rotting away but thankfully some of those evil scum developers restored and created a new space and business to the area. The listed HSBC bank was another one that could have been abandoned looking like a blot on the high street but thankfully Tesco moved in and kept the building alive. We had the old Post Office as mentioned earlier, those University types got it but praise the lord they did and kept the building standing...

See a pattern here.

You might want to have your delusions about these precious and vital buildings but its private money keeping them going not taxpayers.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Sheffield is a Labour Council, what, prey tell, has this got to do with the Tory's?

pray tell...ok.I was replying to another posters tory sounding rhetoric ... I am aware that blairites are in charge of the council and that central govt in Westminster is controlled by the Tories .. and inturn central govt are squeezing local govt especially non Tory councils..... So,as it seems The blairites are selling off Public and City assets on the cheap..due to the current central govt cutbacks...how shortsighted!

Edited by WestTinsley

Nooooooo.... they can't shut the Central Library!

I stressed that an alternative should be built. I wouldn't agree without this.

The building is knackered as far as money is concerned for public money to upgrade it.

This is a beautiful, purpose built Library that does Sheffield proud. It represents the ideal of a public space for the learning and enlightenment of all the people.

Underlined: I don't think many are doubting its beauty and presence as a building in Sheffield, least alone me.

However, it was purpose built in the 1930s before almost anything that is common today.

Bold: It's far from ideal. It's an old building with poor facilities. If people paid £3 to go in and thousands a day wanted to go in, it might have a chance in its currently capacity. Unfortunately for the finances, it's free and very few go in there.

If it's not used as much as it was, then rebrand it, use some imagination to extend its purpose and attraction, modernise it for the information age.

That's the idea, rebrand it as a hotel. Spend money on it so it doesn't fall down or end up a travesty of SCC's previous decisions.

Why not turn the old crown court building into a hotel instead!!

It's currently not in a good enough position for a high quality hotel (or high quality anything for that matter). If you could swap the places of the buildings, it would have been snapped up long ago.

pray tell...ok.I was replying to another posters tory sounding rhetoric ... I am aware that blairites are in charge of the council and that central govt in Westminster is controlled by the Tories .. and inturn central govt are squeezing local govt especially non Tory councils..... So,as it seems The blairites are selling off Public and City assets on the cheap..due to the current central govt cutbacks...how shortsighted!

How much extra council tax are you prepared to pay to bring this unfit for purpose building up to date?

How much extra council tax are you prepared to pay to bring this unfit for purpose building up to date?

How is it unfit for purpose pray tell.. it's a bloody library that stores books, it's a great building with character.. something soulless tories wouldn't know much about...

Why not let them use the town hall or city hall or cathedral as a 5star Chinese hotel .. maybe youve judged they aren't fit for purpose either??

Way too much politics.

It's not that difficult this one. It's obvious.

How is it unfit for purpose pray tell.. it's a bloody library that stores books, it's a great building with character.. something soulless tories wouldn't know much about...

Why not let them use the town hall or city hall or cathedral as a 5star Chinese hotel .. maybe youve judged they aren't fit for purpose either??

Bold, how many people visit buildings to read or rent books nowadays?

It's a cold old building inside (beautiful as it is), but completely useless in modern times. It will end up a wreck otherwise.

A new building fit for purpose in the centre would be a better idea, if that's part of the deal. One that caters for modern times, modern climate control, modern ways of learning, and accessibility for everyone.

15% drop in users in 2015

6.5% drop in users in 2016.

21% less useage in just 2 years.

You can prove anything with statistics, and the best way to channel people is a locked door.

HMRC footfall fell year on year...because we restricted opening times, took away face to face contact, made people make appointments to see advisors and basically just told people to bugger off. After a couple of years of this stats were rolled out to show usage of enquiry centres had fallen, so they were all shut. By 2020 there will be 13 HMRC buildings in the whole of Britain, none of which are open to the public.

So when people use reductions in footfall to justify closing services I'm always suspicious. Everytime I go to the library it's busy, OK people aren't borrowing books in the traditional sense but the computer terminals are rammed.

Just ask yourself this...do you judge our present council to be a) honest b) intelligent enough to negotiate a proper contract and c) trustworthy.

I don't.