Central library closure

i think the library issue is one of the better idea's that SCC has had, they get some body els to renovate the library "at a cost of more than 30mil" to a 5 star hotel standard which, will bring the type of people into Sheffield that it badly needs to further itself, Plus a new purpose built Library.

What are the consequences if they don't do it? i think things will stop the same in Sheffield, with a bill for 30mil.

I hope the opeople in power have learnt lessons from the new central library in Birmingham were opening hours have been cut, staff sacked and book budget slashed.https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/14/birmingham-city-library-cuts-lynsey-hanley

My only worry is that the council won't replace the library should that building get sold off and this will be a genuine concern shared by many. I have no problem with building been sold off, if a new built library in its place is 100% guaranteed.

As for hotels with in the city centre, the choice is rather poor unless you're happy with the midscale ones we have.

While I'm not sure there is a big enough market for a true 5* hotel, I'm sure there is one for something a bit more upscale than the Mercure, Novotel and Hilton.

The obvious theme across this thread is that people don't trust the council to build a new one. That'd be a condition of mine too (if I had a voice in it)

If this was set in stone that a new one would be built, would the people currently against it change their minds?

Well exactly. What will probably happen is that they'll close the library, then the Labour council will claim there's no money left to refurbish it, blaming Tory government cuts. The building will lie derelict for several years until a developer comes along, flattens it and builds more "luxury student apartments".

Yet another reason to kick Labour out of Sheffield City Council!

Well exactly. What will probably happen is that they'll close the library, then the Labour council will claim there's no money left to refurbish it, blaming Tory government cuts. The building will lie derelict for several years until a developer comes along, flattens it and builds more "luxury student apartments".

Yet another reason to kick Labour out of Sheffield City Council!

Except this is all something you've made up.

Perhaps we should make up a story about what you might do, and then get you sacked now?

When will all this happen and how long will I be without a library?

We will always provide a library, archives and information service in the city centre. Our investment partner's site surveys will take some time to complete. We don’t know the exact dates but we will make sure this is a transparent process and local people are fully informed.

Until we are sure we have a new location for the Central Library, the library theatre and the Graves Art Gallery, we won’t be moving any services.

Transparent? - Like they have been with the tree felling? Ha.

My only worry is that the council won't replace the library should that building get sold off and this will be a genuine concern shared by many. I have no problem with building been sold off, if a new built library in its place is 100% guaranteed.

Well exactly. What will probably happen is that they'll close the library, then the Labour council will claim there's no money left to refurbish it, blaming Tory government cuts.

Well the link in the last post by laz says this:

When will all this happen and how long will I be without a library?

We will always provide a library, archives and information service in the city centre. Our investment partner's site surveys will take some time to complete. We don’t know the exact dates but we will make sure this is a transparent process and local people are fully informed.

Until we are sure we have a new location for the Central Library, the library theatre and the Graves Art Gallery, we won’t be moving any services.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 20:34 ----------

Transparent? - Like they have been with the tree felling? Ha.

cross-posted with you... well yeah, again. Difficult to trust these people isn't it.