Central library closure

And if the investors have enough money to turn it into a 5 star hotel - why would it be a problem.

It is a problem because it is a public assett and I and many other council tax payers have already sunk a lot of money into it..

---------- Post added 11-12-2016 at 09:45 ----------

I do hope you've noticed the Central Library already has windows :cool:

So has my shed but hotel guests normally expect a window in each room. :loopy:

Edited by hush

On the subject of sheds, I pay a shedload of money in council tax (or whatever they call it these days ) and see precious little for it!! The library is one public resource which does give me value.

Would it give you less value if it was transferred to the Sheffield Market, or would you find it better if it was transferred to a newly built Trump Towers? as a library its not whats on the outside its whats in the inside. The library as it is now on the out side, i would bet will still be there when we are gone.

Edited by kidley

Says it all really:

《More than 10,000 people have signed a petition against the plans and have called for funding to be found to refurbish the current building, which is in need of millions of pounds worth of repairs and accessibility improvements. Rebecca Gransbury, who started the petition, said she had spoken to officials in Manchester, where the council was involved in a £55m redevelopment of their existing library rather than moving to a new site, who described their building as the ‘jewel in the crown’ of their library service. She asked why Sheffield could not follow their lead given the city’s Central Library has a higher percentage of the population using it each year compared to Manchester. She said she was concerned the costs of creating a new building would ‘spiral’. Councillor Scott said refurbishment would be a ‘fall-back plan’ should the hotel idea fall through. “It is important to be honest about that,” he said.》

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/millions-in-five-star-hotel-taxes-could-help-fund-replacement-sheffield-central-library-1-8292163

And this ..

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/chinese-investors-plan-30m-sheffield-apartments-scheme-1-8289711

It is a problem because it is a public assett and I and many other council tax payers have already sunk a lot of money into it..

---------- Post added 11-12-2016 at 09:45 ----------

So has my shed but hotel guests normally expect a window in each room. :loopy:

If it's a listed building (is it?) you won't be able to just put in windows willy nilly. But other former public buildings around the country have been converted into high end hotels over the years, mostly with success. Why is this one such a sacred cow? I get Sheffield shouldnt lose a central library but there's room for a win-win scenario here.

Public sentiment is against closing down the Library. Time the council stopped flogging off assets and cutting down trees . Tory austerity or no tory austerity.

It is not being sold. What else do they cut then? As long as the tories keep feathering their own nests we (as a northern non tory voting city) will lose out in the sense of public funding so something gets chopped.

---------- Post added 16-12-2016 at 11:38 ----------

On the subject of sheds, I pay a shedload of money in council tax (or whatever they call it these days ) and see precious little for it!! The library is one public resource which does give me value.

And there will still be one whichever way this goes.

Guest makapaka

As long as there's funding for a new library I think this is a great idea.

An attractive 5 star hotel in town and a new state of the art library- no brainer and everyone's a winner.

I have just received the following information from Visit Britain. These figures are the Average Room Rates achieved by hotels in November 2016.

Glasgow £96.00

Edinburgh £101.00

Newcastle £86.00

Liverpool £85.00

Manchester £129.00

Sheffield £81.00

Birmingham £98.00

Cardiff £91.00

Bristol £103.00

Brighton £91.00

London £155.00

The rates that a 5 star has to achieve in order to pay for it's ongoing costs are much greater than the £81.00 that Sheffield is currently achieving. We need a quality tourist attraction(s) or a major reason for 5 star guests wishing to visit and stay in our city.