Central library closure

You're missing the point!

The point is that the beautiful building was given to the people of Sheffield as their library. .... and they want it to remain as THEIR LIBRARY.

However, if you speak to people who work in Central Library they have been asking for a replacement for years. The money spent on maintaining the building would be better spent on the library service.

All the windows need replacing and have done for at least 30 years.

There's a net under the roof windows just in case they collapse inwards.

It costs a fortune to heat given the height of the ceilings.

There's no disabled access apart from a lift serving the whole library and you need to go round the back to the service area to use it. That's all supposing there's a porter on duty who can help you.

Remember, a building is not a library service and it's that that needs preserving.

You're missing the point!

The point is that the beautiful building was given to the people of Sheffield as their library. .... and they want it to remain as THEIR LIBRARY.

Actually no it wasn't, it's just the art gallery that was started around a bequest from JG Graves.

However, if you speak to people who work in Central Library they have been asking for a replacement for years. The money spent on maintaining the building would be better spent on the library service.

There's no disabled access apart from a lift serving the whole library and you need to go round the back to the service area to use it. That's all supposing there's a porter on duty who can help you.

Remember, a building is not a library service and it's that that needs preserving.

Well said.

I think the worry is though, I think I'm right in saying the Chinese investors haven't made any commitment to funding a new library, just renovating the building as part of getting to open and operate the hotel. I think it's clear that if they don't pay for a new library, the council will only be able to afford to relocate the library services to existing facilities; smaller local libraries (the ones that are still open), Town Hall, University premises etc. That could be detrimental.

If there is a deal for investment in a new library building then really no one should be unhappy with that. Existing library services are not only retained, but given a brand spanking new home. The existing building is properly maintained and given a more sustainable use for a building with such operating/maintenance costs.

I agree.

I do hope the beautiful art deco interior is preserved.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/sheffield/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8174000/8174207.stm

Edited by Daven

Guest makapaka

Totally agree - it's really tired inside and not a practical building for a modern day library.

As I've said earlier in the thread this is a massive win-win for the city so long as we maintain a good central library service in either a new or existing building. My preference would be to see it in castle gate which is crying out for investment.

There are a number of large empty buildings of varying ages / styles that could possibly be utilised around there.

This is an exciting opportunity let's get behind it!

Well said.

I think the worry is though, I think I'm right in saying the Chinese investors haven't made any commitment to funding a new library, just renovating the building as part of getting to open and operate the hotel. I think it's clear that if they don't pay for a new library, the council will only be able to afford to relocate the library services to existing facilities; smaller local libraries (the ones that are still open), Town Hall, University premises etc. That could be detrimental.

If there is a deal for investment in a new library building then really no one should be unhappy with that. Existing library services are not only retained, but given a brand spanking new home. The existing building is properly maintained and given a more sustainable use for a building with such operating/maintenance costs.

I agree but the council are in a cleft stick on this issue. If firm plans had been in place before notifying us then people would have complained that they hadn't been consulted. The situation as it stands, as far as I'm aware, is that the whole concept is being mooted with no plans yet but it was felt best to go public rather than let the rumour mill loose.

I agree but the council are in a cleft stick on this issue. If firm plans had been in place before notifying us then people would have complained that they hadn't been consulted. The situation as it stands, as far as I'm aware, is that the whole concept is being mooted with no plans yet but it was felt best to go public rather than let the rumour mill loose.

Yeah right!

And when the public say they don't want it, the council go ahead and do it anyway. Just like all the best dictatorships.

Yeah right!

And when the public say they don't want it, the council go ahead and do it anyway. Just like all the best dictatorships.

Is that a hypothetical situation, or are you suggesting the public have already dismissed this plan? Because I must have missed that if so.

Guest makapaka
Is that a hypothetical situation, or are you suggesting the public have already dismissed this plan? Because I must have missed that if so.

No - it's just someone making things up about the council again.

Well said.

I would only support this if there was a significant plan to rehouse the library in a brand new facility. I have to say I think the council dropped the ball with presenting this deal, they should be presenting this as a deal to modernise Sheffield's libraries and improve the service. Instead we have an argument about what will happen to the old not fit for purpose building after the library vacates, while it is important what happens to these buildings in the long term we're having the argument backwards.

Edited by smiggs