Central library closure

Hopefully this abominable plan is dead in the water!

Why? Would you not like to see a modern, fit for purpose, fully accessible library built in this city.

Are you happy with the current outdated, inaccessible, decaying, high maintenence, high cost facility we have now. A facility which will inevitably end up with dwindling users, get closed down and become another empty decaying eyesore with the obligatory rose tinted Sheffielders bleating on that its such a treasure to the city.

Quite frankly I would rather see private investors make something out of it personally.

All excellent points. To those who continually extol the likes of Manchester and Leeds over Sheffield: why not move there?

Ah, the old "if you like it so much why don't you live there?" post.

I did and never regretted it for a second.

But it doesn't fix the problems if everyone leaves, does it?

As for Sheffield being an "industrial city", so what? So was Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds. And they managed to turn their city centres around. All were dire places in the 80s and 90s.

Why? Would you not like to see a modern, fit for purpose, fully accessible library built in this city.

Are you happy with the current outdated, inaccessible, decaying, high maintenence, high cost facility we have now. A facility which will inevitably end up with dwindling users, get closed down and become another empty decaying eyesore with the obligatory rose tinted Sheffielders bleating on that its such a treasure to the city.

Quite frankly I would rather see private investors make something out of it personally.

You ought to re-read this

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11739796&postcount=256

Ah, the old "if you like it so much why don't you live there?" post.

I did and never regretted it for a second.

But it doesn't fix the problems if everyone leaves, does it?

As for Sheffield being an "industrial city", so what? So was Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds. And they managed to turn their city centres around. All were dire places in the 80s and 90s.

Sheffield's population is rising so I don't think we need worry about an exodus yet. Sheffield is different to other large cities, it's less built up, feels smaller, is friendlier, the people are quieter and less pushy, its city centre is a bit crap. Some people like that Sheffield is different, despite its faults. Others don't and have left. You left and went somewhere you are happier with - that's great. Others choose to stay because they like what's different to Leeds or wherever - that's also great. I want Sheffield to stay different, that way people have more choices.