Central library closure

How many more times. This is not about losing a library its about losing THAT particuar building.

You have just said in your own post

...Everytime I go to the library it's busy, OK people aren't borrowing books in the traditional sense but the computer terminals are rammed.

If that's the case its orginal purpose and future purpose are very different. The accommodation required to house ever increasing computer terminals and less books clearly is different too.

Therefore, why does it need to be kept in an ever increasing age, difficult to maintain and not fit for modern standards building.

I am not going to waste time commenting on the ins and outs of HMRC offices or my trust in the council. Its totally irrelevant. We are talking about a building.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Everytime I go to the library it's busy, OK people aren't borrowing books in the traditional sense but the computer terminals are rammed.

yes, this is why I'd agree if a new modern facility (and close-by) is part of the deal.

Just ask yourself this...do you judge our present council to be a) honest b) intelligent enough to negotiate a proper contract and c) trustworthy.

I don't.

Yes, this is why I'd like more details, as I said I only heard about this today.

-

I'd also want the new place to be called the Central Library.

I can already imagine that it will called something stupid.

'Advanced' will almost certainly be one of the words :hihi:

As I severely doubt that another library would be built by the Council even if they promised one, and just to help their pals Amey along when they go recycle the books at the incinerator (along with all the trees), books start dephlogisticating at around 451 degrees fahrenheit (I read it in a book).

May as well burn all the paintings too as there's no money to be made just by letting people go to see them … probably keep Julie warm for a day or so in her office suite.

Baggy I have the Burne-Jones (unless there's space for it in the hotel foyer?).

One thing is for sure; that JG Graves fellow did quite a lot for Sheffield. Where are our modern benefactors? Busy stuffing money into tax havens, probably.

Or frightened off after seeing a council that sells the gifts that those past benefactors gave.

Bold, how many people visit buildings to read or rent books nowadays?

It's a cold old building inside (beautiful as it is), but completely useless in modern times. It will end up a wreck otherwise.

Are you from Sheffield? Your description of the Central library is far from reality. hmm?

Plenty of people visit the library, plenty lend books etc.. its open more hours a week these days than it was in the 90s or ever was

Edited by WestTinsley

Are you from Sheffield? Your description of the Central library is far from reality. hmm?

Plenty of people visit the library, plenty lend books etc.. its open more hours a week these days than it was in the 90s or ever was

What income does it have to pay for its upkeep?

p.s. for the first bit, you'll struggle to find anyone in Sheffield more interested in keeping its old buildings, than me.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

My dear fellow forummers....

You are debating this as if you think what anyone believes or says will actually make one iota of a difference.

Where have you been for the past week? For the past five years?

You....we....are all idiots who know nothing. Debate is futile; attempting to reason is futile; resistance is futile (and you could end up in a cell for 8 hours); the almighty powerful Council will decide what is best for us, and will put their vision in to action, in conjunction with SYP.

But please do keep filling in the consultation forms and keep sending in your letters; apparently, they have a great sense of humour.