Central library closure

I like your thinking. Maybe a cluster of hotels and conference venues for businesses next to super duper high speed transport hub. Near meadowhall perhaps.

Oh.....

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 12:13 ----------

Just don't build your precious hotel in our library tinfoilhat ..plenty of locations elsewhere

The Central Library in Cambridge is situated in a totally new(ish) mall in the City Centre at Lion Yard.

Its unexpected presence makes it a wonderful and relaxing place.

It must attract many new people every day.

Its not small or tucked away.

Its a great meeting place.

A wonderful place to take tired children to be fed facts not fat.

I used to be a regular user of the City Library, but its neither functional or comfortable in its present layout and location.

Their is an opportunity here to oblige a new development to include a library.

The Court is in the wrong location and in no way attractive to new customers.

Birmingham Library is an impressive new build effort too, although it did cost £200m

How is it unfit for purpose pray tell.. it's a bloody library that stores books, it's a great building with character.. something soulless tories wouldn't know much about...

Why not let them use the town hall or city hall or cathedral as a 5star Chinese hotel .. maybe youve judged they aren't fit for purpose either??

Its structure is failing. I believe that the stone outer is supported by a steel frame which is corroding.

It is also contains asbestos.

The disabled access is appalling, a door round the back.

The access to the Childrens Library is down some stairs, great with a pram or buggy.

Just to be clear, Mr Graves didn't pay for the library and bequeath it to Sheffield.

Edited by Bargepole23

I think this could be good for the city. On one hand the library building gets renovated, at no cost to the public purse, and on the other, we will hopefully get a modern fit for purpose library.

What's not to like?!

Pretty much have to agree with you there. Whilst a lot may not like it, the fact remains that the library is in severe need of modernisation, simply to bring it up to code, and so unused that it is not worth the public investment required. Therefore you're going to be either left with a situation where it gets left to rot, like the old Town Hall / Courts, or you get someone to buy it and preserve what, for most of the population, is just a pretty exterior.

As to whether Sheffield needs more hotels, well we all benefit from visitors and tourism. And someone must think there is a market. I hear the old Primark has been earmarked for an Easy Hotel.

The obvious theme across this thread is that people don't trust the council to build a new one. That'd be a condition of mine too (if I had a voice in it)

If this was set in stone that a new one would be built, would the people currently against it change their minds?

-

Also where should it be?

I'd probably go for integrating into the new Grosvenor development and scrap a couple of Primarks from it. Best case scenario for me would be flattening the red odeon thing.