White "ghosting" around all screen characters.

woolyhead

OK spider 1. I hear you loud and clear. Thanks for your interest and suggestion. I may well go there eventually but meanwhile I do like to find out what's going on and what I can do myself in the machine, just out of interest. I may well get there by myself and if I don't then I'll see about MoZaLaN.

---------- Post added 30-11-2016 at 19:07 ----------

Hi again everybody. Well I've made a few discoveries ref my noisy screen and the ghosted letters. At least one of the reasons is a faulty screen! I know I said earlier that the screen was ok with my laptop but it has got worse and even with the laptop the screen flickers badly. The ghosting was due to my own stupidity. What happened is that when I selected "less contrast" on the screen's controls a calibrated horizontal line appeared and I tried to either make it shorter or at least to move the pointer back towards zero but nothing seemed to happen. So what's the point of having a calibrated line if you can't move the pointer. I later discovered that the display itself (not the calibrated line) actually had changed and this was the cause of the ghosted letters. I hadn't realised what was happening. The laptop's own display was and is fine. The monitor type is an AOC N19W. It has a lot of electrical noise in some regions of its displays, especially the light blue ones. But it retains correct colours when I select "magnifier" with the laptop whereas it doesn't do so with the desktop. I had none of these problems before the VGA plug fell out and my theory that this falling out caused arcing and damaged the desktop video driver and also the screen still holds with me. Any more ideas, anyone? By the way spider1, I still haven't got a headache and I'm enjoying hunting down the true cause(s) of these problems. I don't know a lot about computers or screens but I've been a solver of technical problems all my life and always enjoyed it. With a little bit of help from my friends.

Edited by woolyhead