Showing ID to get medical treatment

You expect them to do it in house? Do you really think that that's the best use of their time and appropriate to their skills?

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:07 ----------

So no NHS for children or many pensioners then. Good one.

Your NI number is (or was) assigned at birth in the UK. Back in the early 1980s mine came in credit card style when I reached sixteen.

Why cant we insist on tourists having health insurance when visiting the UK.

A reminder of what was suggested.

Not, when requiring treatment, when visiting.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:22 ----------

I was being petulant to the person who suggested it. The point was, it's not that easy.

Apologies, I should have spotted that.

Did you read what I quoted? It wasn't about the NI number, it was about paying tax.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:19 ----------

I fail to see your point. We're not talking about people going on holiday FROM the UK, you wanted to somehow require that foreign nationals visiting here had TI.

And as you say, even holiday companies checking don't do anything to verify it, and you're talking about verifying it for non english speaking people from 170 odd countries arriving by ferry, train and plane... And even on foot via Ireland for that matter...

They certainly check when you want treatment, but not before allowing you into the country, which is what you said.

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:20 ----------

Irrelevant. Can you name any country that checks you have it before allowing you entry to the country?

Why do you fail to see the point? If our travel companies make people think about insurance then others COULD do the same. If you don't have the insurance, or a method of payment you don't get treatment. Why should the UK be the only country not to check before treating?

The suggestion wasn't about travel companies making people think about TI though.

It was about REQUIRING TI before we allow entry to the country. A policy that would be entirely unworkable and unenforceable.

You're strawmanning by arguing that requiring proof before treatment is reasonable (it is, I agree), or that travel companies should encourage people to have TI (they should, I agree).

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:44 ----------

Why cant we insist on tourists having health insurance when visiting the UK.

Because it's basically impossible is why.

Despite the people who refuse to read what you've written and are arguing in favour of different things.

The suggestion wasn't about travel companies making people think about TI though.

It was about REQUIRING TI before we allow entry to the country. A policy that would be entirely unworkable and unenforceable.

You're strawmanning by arguing that requiring proof before treatment is reasonable (it is, I agree), or that travel companies should encourage people to have TI (they should, I agree).

---------- Post added 23-11-2016 at 14:44 ----------

Because it's basically impossible is why.

Despite the people who refuse to read what you've written and are arguing in favour of different things.

the whole point of medical tourism is that they intentionally come to get medical treatment, to defraud our NHS, I would think few have accidents here, but come with per-existing conditions

You expect them to do it in house? Do you really think that that's the best use of their time and appropriate to their skills?

I expect they'll give it a bash, make a hash of it and then get bent over by one of the big outsourcing companies after they see how much of a mess has been made.

The best solution would be for the government to sort it out for them and just give the system to them to use. (That would be outsourced too mind).

If it was done as a central government project it could link into the border control force (to get information on when and where a person came into the country) it could also link to the police should someone of interest walk into a hospital.

The American's already collect most of this information when you enter their country, they also get finger prints and a photo of you too from what I remember.

I can't see what's too difficult about not treating anyone for non emergency treatment, unless they have a NI number or EHIC card.

On the radio yesterday it was said that the UK paid 679 million quid to EU countries last year for U.K. citizen medical treatment and got back 49 million for EU citizens treatment here.

I can't see what's too difficult about not treating anyone for non emergency treatment, unless they have a NI number or EHIC card.

On the radio yesterday it was said that the UK paid 679 million quid to EU countries last year for U.K. citizen medical treatment and got back 49 million for EU citizens treatment here.

Neither can I, but like everything in life, those wanting to find difficulties, will find difficulties.

Would a person get non-emergency medical treatment with al the medical history. Identity should be done way before they reach the hospital.

I agree with the principle, if they dont pay UK taxes, no automatic free NHS.

So no kids then get treatment.

No one who still at Uni.

No one whose not managed to get a job yet.