Theresa May and Hammond's Autumn Statement,

Well for all her talk about helping the 'Jams' (Just About Managing) Theresa May has failed the first test, with Philip Hammond's Autumn statement.

Instead of helping, these people it seems will be worse off. The Tax changes will of course mostly help the rich. ........

Your comments?

As usual you don't know what you are talking about.

Have you done the numbers and seen which grouping has taken the biggest hit? I'll give you a clue - it's not the poor.

Meanwhile Hammond quite rightly has pointed out that the triple lock is going to be unsustainable and that pensioners are going to have to accept a bit of the pain as well. That's something for you really to get outraged about.

So where would the money come from to pay everyone 213 euros a week? And if everyone got it, what would be the incentive for anyone to go out to work?

I'm not sure why people expect free handouts from budgets. If you're 'Just About Managing', it's up to you to do something about it, not the government!

We are living through changing times. The third industrial revolution (ie automation and robotics) is going to mean vast numbers without work.

But productivity will probably go up thanks to automated production methods, eg (simplified) Assume 10 men can make 1 car and it sells for £1.000. 1 robot can make 10 cars. 10 men are put out of work. But there are still 10 cars to sell making £10,000 and no men to pay.

That's where the money should come from to pay everyone an income. Without such distribution 10 men live in poverty and can't afford to buy anything.

So where would the money come from to pay everyone 213 euros a week? And if everyone got it, what would be the incentive for anyone to go out to work?

I'm not sure why people expect free handouts from budgets. If you're 'Just About Managing', it's up to you to do something about it, not the government!

So people are just about managing, then there are increases in food (loaf gone up 10p this last week)and taxes are going up, their wage / salary hasn't increased and on minimum earnings. No overtime available, perhaps children to look after, how do you suggest they do something about it?

So people are just about managing, then there are increases in food (loaf gone up 10p this last week)and taxes are going up, their wage / salary hasn't increased and on minimum earnings. No overtime available, perhaps children to look after, how do you suggest they do something about it?

What taxes are going up?

<...>

Your comments?

My main comments would be:

1. Pre-February 2016 certainly, and probably until June-ish 2016, the UK economy was growing reasonably well (relative to Rest of World) and the UK deficit had been reduced by 2/3rds. Not a glowing situation by any means, but arguably the best of a bad bunch, which was not so bad a place to be, all things being equal.

2. The choice was then given to stay in the EU (and quid pro quo, as improved by Cameron's deal) or quit the EU (and venture into the unknown).

3. 'EU Referendum - How will you vote?' (closed thread), post 4454, 10 June 2016:

How did politicians allow us to get into this situation? We were warned about it before we signed some agreement back in the 90's (can't remember what it was called, but internet was full of it.)

Once again it comes down to the power of an organisation which is corrupt, undemocratic, unremovable, unreformable, holds all the cards, and will brook no renegotiation. It isn't going to change. Why should it?

That is a very powerful, very dangerous organisation.

It's clear Germany are doing extremely well out of it of course.

Do we allow it to continue to bully us?

4. 'The consequence thread (Brexit)' (closed thread), post 4038, 22 August 2016:

The situation in the EU has been worsening for a long time. Not just in the run up to the vote. It was clear it was in serious trouble on several fronts years ago, and yet still refuses to change its ways.

Why do remainers seem to ignore this, and why would they want to remain part of a failing entity? That's the point.

5. 52% voted to quit the EU.

6. World has since reminded Brits that they're not its belly-button, and accessorily that no-one in Real Life gets to have their cake and eating it, by fast-tanking the GBP to a 30 year low, besides other less easily measured (but non-trivial) consequences (such as confidential promises to Nissan kept from the OBR who asked about them yesterday, in case you missed it).

That budget accounts for the unknown that is Brexit, and is the direct consequence of the 52% vote. Including your vote, if I'm not mistaken. So, time to woman up, and assume your part of the collective responsibility of the 52% for it.

Quit crying like a little girl, put the Kleenexes away, pull up your sleeves, venture into that unknown, and get eating that triple decker **** sandwich on the way.

Enjoy (and better get a taste for it quick, as there's seconds coming fast, what with the inflation levels expected next year)

:)

Edited by L00b

My main comments are:

1. Pre-February 2016 certainly, and probably until June-ish 2016, the economy was growing and the deficit had been reduced by 2/3rds.

2. The choice was stay in the EU (and quid pro quo, as improved by Cameron's deal) or quit the EU (and venture into the unknown).

3. 'EU Referendum - How will you vote?' (closed thread), post 4454, 10 June 2016:

4. 'The consequence thread (Brexit)' (closed thread), post 4038, 22 August 2016:

5. 52% voted out.

That budget accounts for the unknown that is Brexit, and is the direct consequence of the 52% vote. Including your vote, if I'm not mistaken. So, time to woman up, and assume your part of the collective responsibility of the 52% for it.

Quit crying like a little girl, put the Kleenexes away, pull up your sleeves, venture into that unknown, and get eating that triple decker **** sandwich on the way.

Enjoy :D (and better get a taste for it quick, as there's seconds coming with the inflation levels expected next year).

We're not out of the EU yet.

So far none of the dire predictions have come true, in fact things are going rather better than expected, so I don't see how you can blame brexiting for this, nor for the growth in national debt, targets missed etc. However as predicted, the Tories will blame everything and anything on Brexit. How convenient.

As to your personal attacks, I've already 'manned up' in a number of ways including paying more tax, paying for medical treatment, and a taking a cut in various services I need. None of which are anything to do with Brexit. However I am not 'crying like a girl,' I am just getting on with it thankyou. And yes there will be more to come, some of it's already in the pipeline. And still nothing to do with Brexit.

However, I was willing to give Theresa May a chance as she was making all the right noises and seemed more down to earth than Cameron. but it's beginning to look like that's all it is, noise...

Please explain to me how, if there are more people in work than ever, (and working harder,) productivity and tax receipts are down? That doesn't add up does it?

Could someone have been telling little porkies do you think?

---------- Post added 24-11-2016 at 23:22 ----------

Top story on tonights ITV news began with 'we are worse off than at any time for the last 70 years. possibly for a century.'

Each household is £3,500 p.a. worse off under the Tories and this of course affects the poor and those that are only just managing more than any other because they can't absorb the loss. No wonder there are food banks etc.

It really sickens me that some people still refuse to believe there is such hardship just because it doesn't affect them or their chums.

I was willing to give Theresa May a chance as she was making all the right noises and seemed more down to earth than Cameron.

No you weren't. You claimed in an earlier post she was just ripping off Corbyn.

Why do you continue to spout lies and mistruths, unable to back them up with any evidence? Like your very first post on here about the Pirate Party?

No you weren't. You claimed in an earlier post she was just ripping off Corbyn.

Why do you continue to spout lies and mistruths, unable to back them up with any evidence? Like your very first post on here about the Pirate Party?

If she was 'ripping of Corbyn' that's a plus point in my eyes.

I am not the original author of many of the 'lies I spout,' it's usually what I've read or seen elsewhere. I don't do links very well I'm afraid. But I spent a great deal of time and effort up against people like you proving points which have since come to pass. You seem to have your head in the sand. I feel vindicated on many of the things I post.