Next ShefLUG Meeting

ShefLUG

Hi

Our next meeting is on the 3rd of December. If you need some help with something please come along. We have a Twitter account which is @ShefLUG. Our meetings page is at www sheflug org uk. Have a look there for meeting times and for the venue.

This is all about Linux, right?

i think so.

Typical Linux, gives you no further info and expects you to RTFM to find out the answer.

Type sheflug --man at the shell, and you might be able to work out the rest yourself.

Is Linux ready to challenge Windows for desktop PC supremacy? Not for several years yet

This is all about Linux, right?

It was for the past 20 years. We spend our time helping people with Linux problems. If any. Linux has been mainstream for more than ten years. All of us are people who have worked in IT for a living. Such as workstations, web servers, Laptops. Even Raspberry Pi. All of this software runs 60% of telephones. All TVs. Quite a few cars. Just about most of the Internet. Nearly.

---------- Post added 27-11-2016 at 21:07 ----------

i think so.

Typical Linux, gives you no further info and expects you to RTFM to find out the answer.

Type sheflug --man at the shell, and you might be able to work out the rest yourself.

Is Linux ready to challenge Windows for desktop PC supremacy? Not for several years yet

You need to RTFM .... the Ubuntu Desktop Guide..

Since you've only made a couple of posts on here, you probably can't post links so I'll repost the meeting details from your website:

http://www.sheflug.org.uk/indexpage/sheflug-meetings-page-2/

The Next Meeting meeting will take place on the afternoon of the 3rd of December 2016 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

We thought that our December meeting might go down well at the The Holt Cafe.

The address is… The Holt 156 Arundel Street Sheffield, S1 4RE.

http://www.theholtcafe.co.uk

Joker: Is Linux ready to challenge Windows for desktop PC supremacy? Not for several years yet

Does it matter? AFAIK it's not a battle for supremacy. Comparison between this or that operating system is irrelevant. People should just use what they feel comfortable with. As has been said, Linux already runs most of the Internet anyway.

These user groups are interesting and stimulating. They also encourage young people to think 'outside of the box' so to speak.

I'm just a basic computer user but in the past I've spent many hours installing and using various Linux distros and found it an enjoyable and interesting hobby, as well as furthering my knowledge. On the few occasions that I went to a LUG group (not Sheffield) I found the members to be friendly and helpful. I'm a bit too old now and can't be bothered but I would recommend this informal type of meeting to anyone who has an interest in computers and Linux in particular.

BTW thank you for the information and link Joker - hopefully it will be useful in encouraging new members.

Edited by Jomie

• 2 weeks later...