The Normalisation of Deviance

Stop boring me pal, I'm polishing my Doc Martens and going for my head shaving before this afternoons football :P

Man up a bit Michael - you claimed that ''Racist, Nazi, Fascist, Xenophobe, homophobe, Islamophobe, sexist , misogynist.'' are hyperbolic terms that most 'normal' people are sick of hearing. You think they're overused.

Which of them have been wrongly applied to Trump?

Stop boring me pal, I'm polishing my Doc Martens and going for my head shaving before this afternoons football :P

What do you think you achieve by running away from questions, other than highlighting the fragility of your argument?

---------- Post added 26-11-2016 at 11:13 ----------

On a different note - another article highlighting exactly what I am trying to get at

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/thomas-mair-religious-extremists-jo-cox_uk_5839668fe4b0b60ceeaa7eb4?utm_hp_ref=uk

A couple of key quotes

“While the focus on Islamist extremism has fostered a wide range of new resources, successive governments have failed to give relevant professionals an equally detailed knowledge of issues posed by extreme right groups,” he said.

“Issues posed by the Far Right are quite diverse too, from the normalisation of racist views in schools, to street protests, to terrorism, at the most extreme. Prevent is not really equipped to deal with all these problems.” Dr. Paul Jackson

Prof Feldman said Richard Spencer was “not running around dressed in paramilitary outfits... he’s absolutely not the type of person you would associate with the Radical Right”.

Warning this represented “normalising, mainstreaming” of Spencer’s views, he said: “I have a feeling we’re going to see a lot more of that in the next decade... Keeping our ability to be shocked by expressions racial and religious bigotry is important.”

I am basing it on the increasing mainstreaming of political parties with neo-nazi tendencies across Western Europe.

I am basing it on the fact that white supremacist terrorism is more prevalent in the USA than foreign terrorism.

I am basing it on facts. Can you dispute a single one of them?

I don't need to dispute them, I predicted most of this - in here - as well as other sites and with my own writing, and have done for years.

The leftie-ideology which is destined to fail, as it has done every time it has tried to take over, just sweeps things under the carpet and blames the media. It has a history of burying its head in the sand whilst people who don't like to be told what to do gather in numbers, and this sells papers and gains momentum. In this globalised [and social media] world it gathers steam far quicker than in the past.

People just posted to me that it's just predictions and that I can't show evidence of it, just like predictable old you constantly does. Plenty of people imply that I'm just another thicko who believes bus slogans. The same ones burying their heads in the sand.

It'll certainly pick up some pace now this country has no opposition. As usual I put the blame right at the door of Labour.

Anyway, my time is precious this week, so see you again in your next thread :)

I don't need to dispute them, I predicted most of this - in here - as well as other sites and with my own writing, and have done for years.

The leftie-ideology which is destined to fail, as it has done every time it has tried to take over, just sweeps things under the carpet and blames the media. It has a history of burying its head in the sand whilst people who don't like to be told what to do gather in numbers, and this sells papers and gains momentum. In this globalised [and social media] world it gathers steam far quicker than in the past.

People just posted to me that it's just predictions and that I can't show evidence of it, just like predictable old you constantly does. Plenty of people imply that I'm just another thicko who believes bus slogans. The same ones burying their heads in the sand.

It'll certainly pick up some pace now this country has no opposition. As usual I put the blame right at the door of Labour.

Anyway, my time is precious this week, so see you again in your next thread :)

Whether you get back to this or not I'm going to reply.

It comes down to two simple questions Ash. I hope you are prepared to answer them honestly, even if just to yourself.

1) Do you care that what you believe is true?

If the answer is no then I cannot help you and I wish you luck.

If the answer is yes (which I imagine and sincerely hope that it is) then answer the next one...

2) What mechanism do you use to separate truth from fiction?

That is where any thought process must start. Without it you are building on unsteady ground.

Edited by mikem8634

Man up a bit Michael - you claimed that ''Racist, Nazi, Fascist, Xenophobe, homophobe, Islamophobe, sexist , misogynist.'' are hyperbolic terms that most 'normal' people are sick of hearing. You think they're overused.

Which of them have been wrongly applied to Trump?

Which ones do you overuse in discussions with other people on the forum?

I don't believe I overuse any of them. I speak as I find.

I am afraid that you leftists are obsessed with 'isms whilst seemingly oblivious to the fact that the only 'ism that ever makes it into the top 10 of public concerns is terrorism... which you can't even discuss properly because your ismphobia sends you into meltdown!

And as the public across the Western world march ever further to the right to try and get away from the illogical, annoying, tiresome, self-flagellating obsessions of the left, they finally see the exodus happening and ask what's going on? Is it something we said? Of course not. More likely to be the normalisation of deviance wouldn't you say?!?!? Hilarious... I've literally dribbled in my pants I'm laughing that hard!!!

Whilst away I didn't want to reply to this topic, typing on an iPhone is OK, not great... However, I think what you are referring to OP is the shifting paradigms that we have been seeing in recent years. Our socially constructed understanding of certain terms and expressions are subject to change and that change seems to be accelerating.

Specifically a lot of 'underbelly' feeling that links to the topic of 'racism' actually links to discrimination, in particular of immigrants, and the justification of this discrimination along nationalistic lines. This is the result of numerous things but a key one is the absolute magnifying glass on 'terrorism' that has seeped into our society since 9/11. It is the result of Bin Laden winning the war of the mind.

We are safer and better off than we have ever been before as a society, yet we seek comfort in false memories of the past (a very common and normal phenomenon) because 'things were better'. People hark to the 70s and 80s thinking things were more friendly and stable then, conveniently ignoring the terrors that occurred then, often far more significant than what we experience now.

What is interesting is that the paradigm shift is 'forced' along by polarising people and their beliefs. The 'left' versus 'right' nonsense of yesteryear is back with a vengeance, creating an us versus them atmosphere 'in which a spade can be called a spade'. It is an illusion and rather scary. The main reason for it being scary is because the past has time and time again shown that such sudden shifts in socially constructed 'truths' lead to aggression and aggravation between people along made up lines.

Specifically a lot of 'underbelly' feeling that links to the topic of 'racism' actually links to discrimination, in particular of immigrants, and the justification of this discrimination along nationalistic lines. This is the result of numerous things but a key one is the absolute magnifying glass on 'terrorism' that has seeped into our society since 9/11. It is the result of Bin Laden winning the war of the mind.

We are safer and better off than we have ever been before as a society, yet we seek comfort in false memories of the past (a very common and normal phenomenon) because 'things were better'. People hark to the 70s and 80s thinking things were more friendly and stable then, conveniently ignoring the terrors that occurred then, often far more significant than what we experience now.

You're referring to Der Oirish? Der IRA dat were blowing tings up in Merry Old England for several decades?

Dey killed t'ousands in the seventies and eighties.

Lucky for dem, dey were white, like us.

Which is why many right-whingers on here refuse to acknowledge Der IRA were terrorists.

You're referring to Der Oirish? Der IRA dat were blowing tings up in Merry Old England for several decades?

Dey killed t'ousands in the seventies and eighties.

Lucky for dem, dey were white, like us.

Which is why many right-whingers on here refuse to acknowledge Der IRA were terrorists.

That's quite an amazing claim. Especially as it's only the dinosaurs of the left wing that I've ever seen label the IRA as anything but terrorists. 'Freedom fighters' for example.