Food prices up, what have you bought that has increased in price?

What job did you do in 1966 to get such a low wage?

I worked 5 1/2 days a week as an apprentice and was paid £5.10/6

I looked after three children, One who was 18 months old when I arrived and I taught to walk, as before I arrived she sat or slept in a pram for most of the day. It was a warm September in Aberdeen and I got her walking on the lawn.

I only used this as an illustration of the difference in wages between then and now. You have to take into account that I ate well and housing costs money too. Domestic servants have never been well paid and I had no training, Just loved children, but I was better off than I would have been working in a factory which was what the Careers officer was trying to push me into.

When I came back to Sheffield in 1967 I worked as a Window Dresser for which I had done some training at Aberdeen Commercial College I earned around £5.50 then £6. Half of which went to my mum for board. Did you pay board too. when I mention this to kids today they look at me as if I am mad and they don't know what I am talking about.

Edited by Margarita Ma

About to go to the Netherlands and making a shopping list of things to take back. Funny thing - still costs the same as it did when I moved to the UK.

In 2007.

Darned Euro.

Presumably you were just being ripped off in 2007? It's not as if NL has zero inflation is it..

Presumably you were just being ripped off in 2007? It's not as if NL has zero inflation is it..

Bigger market so more pressure on prices. Also - inflation in the Eurozone has been significantly low in the last decade due to the economy not firing up. Excellent news as I can now get my beloved Berenburg (herbal gin) and speculaas for a really good price!

Bigger market so more pressure on prices. Also - inflation in the Eurozone has been significantly low in the last decade due to the economy not firing up. Excellent news as I can now get my beloved Berenburg (herbal gin) and speculaas for a really good price!

I've not tried Berenburg though I've some Dutch friends that keep mentioning it. Mind you they also talk about Sprinkles in sandwiches too.. :hihi:

I have just returned from shopping at Asda and three items I bought have gone up by quite high percentages. Tinned grapefruit 37%, Tzatziki 7% and Kingsmill 50/50 loaf 11.7% I know prices do rise but the amount these items have gone up is on the high side. What else have people bought that is going up up by high percentages? I suppose someone will come on and blame it all on Brexit.

Do you believe it is not because of brexit and the fall in the £?

What job did you do in 1966 to get such a low wage?

I worked 5 1/2 days a week as an apprentice and was paid £5.10/6

Aye, apprentice at £4.10 shillings for my wage in 66. Tipped £3 to Ma for my keep, £1.10 bob for me. Worked on the local farm as well, £1 a week so had £2.10 bob to spend.

Angel1

Do you believe it is not because of brexit and the fall in the £?

Its because supermarkets are always fiddling about with prices that's all. A while ago in ASDA Kingsmill 50/50 was £1 each, then they did a special 2 for £1.50. Poundland, Heron, Fultons and Sainsbury have been selling it for £1 for ages.

---------- Post added 26-11-2016 at 22:32 ----------

Tate n Lyle sugar, from 59p to 72p...

You can get a 2k bag of sugar in Poundland for £1 or a 1k bag in Heron for 49p. As said, food prices change a lot.

---------- Post added 26-11-2016 at 22:35 ----------

Aye, apprentice at £4.10 shillings for my wage in 66. Tipped £3 to Ma for my keep, £1.10 bob for me. Worked on the local farm as well, £1 a week so had £2.10 bob to spend.

Angel1

And you could still scrounge a pint of beer for 1/10 (less that 10p)

Edited by apelike