Food prices up, what have you bought that has increased in price?

I bought a mars bar in 1982 for 15p

they are now going on a quid

scandalous

Going on a quid? Where are you buying these from? The most you see them for is 60p in supermarkets or 3 for £1 in £land Why on earth would you pay £1 for one.

You cna normally get 4 smaller ones for £1.

I'd be surprised if they were 15p in 1982, that seems a bit expensive.

---------- Post added 27-11-2016 at 23:03 ----------

No, I am talking about food at the supermarkets which has hardly changed in price and has always been variable because of those loss leaders.

The same bread in one supermarket may change in price because of market prices but could also change because of store policy and a change in offers. Have a read of the title thread as its about food prices going up and what have you bought that has increased in price?

I am quite a keen and observant shopper. If you strip out the variations such as loss leaders, then you will see that price rises have started to filter through, so your sugar example has gone from 45-50p up to 49-60p. These are undelying prices. Its soemthing people are going to have to get used to as they appear to have orgotten about inflation.

One reason people dont notice is because for many years manufacturers have veen employing the alternative straegy of making things smaller.

Toblerone 170-150g.

Remember when a tin of Quality Street was 1kg in fact werent the big ones 5lbs? They ate now 660g? Virtually every chocolate bar has shrunk, crisps the same.

This is mostly down to Brexit and exchange rates. Uncertaininty makes the £ weak at the moment and any raw materials or imports will reflect this.

What will be interesting to see is how much ( if any) inflation we will get. Brexit hasnt happened yet and that wil eb 3 years away.

Whether the £ will ever recover its strength against the Euro and $ i.e 1.5 and 1.8 or higher. Meanhwile everyone better get used to price rises and emeber what inflation was.

Where the heck are you buying them from? In Sainsburys and most other supermarkets they are around 60p and in a lot of places they are around 51p!

That's just what I was thinking too. Most of the supermarkets I go to, you can buy a whole multi-pack of them for a quid.

Heron's food store that opened in Firth Park a couple of months ago are selling a multipack of 9 "standard" Snickers for £1.59.

Yes, the standard bar of today is much smaller than the standard bar when I were a lad, but it's still a good bargain.

And a multipack of 7 Snickers ice cream bars for £1

Heron's food store that opened in Firth Park a couple of months ago are selling a multipack of 9 "standard" Snickers for £1.59.

Yes, the standard bar of today is much smaller than the standard bar when I were a lad, but it's still a good bargain.

And a multipack of 7 Snickers ice cream bars for £1

Yep the second point is I doubt many people buy single bars these days.

I think the 9 standard are 9 multipack standard 35.5g. They used to be 65g in the 90s. have a check next time you are in. The standard (non multipack) is 48g.

Yep the second point is I doubt many people buy single bars these days.

I think the 9 standard are 9 multipack standard 35.5g. They used to be 65g in the 90s. have a check next time you are in. The standard (non multipack) is 48g.

Mars' excuse for the smaller bar size nowadays is that it's easier for you to calculate the 250 calories of the modern bar, than the 300 calories of the old bar . . . I don't think anybody is fooled.

Do they still sell kingsize Snickers bars? I survived college on those and little else :)

Mars' excuse for the smaller bar size nowadays is that it's easier for you to calculate the 250 calories of the modern bar, than the 300 calories of the old bar . . . I don't think anybody is fooled.

Do they still sell kingsize Snickers bars? I survived college on those and little else :)

The new calorie limit means the 540cal king-size Snickers bar will disappear in 2014.

The initiative will not, however, include ‘duo packs’ or larger family bars, which will be allowed a higher calorie allowance because they are designed to be eaten by more than one person, a spokesperson said.

All a load of rubbish anyway they still sell duos. people buy multipacks. They cut the size and charge the same. It is just getting a bit silly now. Much better to push up the price.

Thanks for the update on the kingsize bars.

Wow, 540 calories :wow:

Much better to push up the price.

I disagree for two reasons; it's easier to budget when the price stays the same, and in the case of unhealthy treats, less calories is better :)

---------- Post added 27-11-2016 at 23:03 ----------

I am quite a keen and observant shopper. If you strip out the variations such as loss leaders, then you will see that price rises have started to filter through, so your sugar example has gone from 45-50p up to 49-60p.

No as I have already pointed out, the price in poundland/heron is still the same and has been for quite some time. In fact sugar is one commodity that has steadily gone down in price over the past year.

One reason people dont notice is because for many years manufacturers have veen employing the alternative straegy of making things smaller.

Toblerone 170-150g.

Remember when a tin of Quality Street was 1kg in fact werent the big ones 5lbs? They ate now 660g? Virtually every chocolate bar has shrunk, crisps the same.

This is mostly down to Brexit and exchange rates.

Of course its not down to Brexit as it has been going on for years as you also have pointed out, and is commonly termed shrinkflation. But lets not bother about reality and blame Brexit anyway..

No as I have already pointed out, the price in poundland/heron is still the same and has been for quite some time. In fact sugar is one commodity that has steadily gone down in price over the past year.

Of course its not down to Brexit as it has been going on for years as you also have pointed out, and is commonly termed shrinkflation. But lets not bother about reality and blame Brexit anyway..

Wrong on both counts actually.

There is a certain amount of stock they have available, bargaining power and profit margin they can sacrifice. Ofc the price in £land has stayed the same as that is the entire concept of the shop, but that doesnt mean inflation isnt having an effect.

Tobleorne has hot the news becayse its gone form 170g down to 150g

Maltesers from 150g to 120g

Ive just told you Sugar is slowly going back up. Hence its one from 45p to 49p in Aldi and is as high as 65p in Sainsburys.

Yes ofc the recent price rises are due to the low level of the £ which is largely due to Brexit and the subsequent weakness of the £ against the Euro and the $. Deny it all you want. 1.5 then and 1.25 now. Theres 17% less money for your £. The pressure on prices is up. Its up to the retailers how they cope with that. We havent been this low for years and the response then as it is now will be price rises when the retailer feels it can no longer absorb the cost.

---------- Post added 28-11-2016 at 07:58 ----------

Feel free to explain why the collapse in the value of the £ overnight from £1 to $1.50 down to $1.20/$1.25 wasnt down to the Brexit result